Our dog has eaten our chicken!

Quote:
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif
clap.gif

I recently picked up a "free dog" at a local animal swap about 3 weeks ago. She is a 6 yr old australian blue heeler that had never been around chickens. The previous owners told me she had been around ducks but that was about it. She was in a kennel most of the time and when outside she was tied up. When the other family ate dinner they would kennel her so she didn't beg for food.When we brought her home she looked at the chickens and licked her lips. I took her outside while the chickens were free ranging and had her on a very short leash telling her to "leave it" everytime we walked by the chickens. I did this for 2 weeks before i was comfortable letting her off the leash to run in the yard. She ran up to my rooster the other day to check him out and he jumped up and kicked her in the face. She got scared and ran away. I have seramas in the house as well and i let one of my roos out to get to know her and for some reason she wants to eat him. She almost got him one day and as soon as she opened her mouth to grab him i said "LEAVE IT" and she left him alone but you could tell by her pupils she still wanted to have at him. I grabbed the rooster and had the dog lay down and gently put the rooster on her back and kept telling her to leave it and it worked! It will take some time but she has great potential and i am hoping one day i can leave her in the yard to watch over the chickens while they are free ranging to help protect them from the hunting dogs running loose in the neighborhood or other predators.

Well I know this is going to cause a lot of people to bash me but my two cattle dogs have high prey drive and killed a few of my chickens. We took the bodies and struck them a couple of times with them. They have never touched them since. Now mind you I am not one for beating a dog so don't take it that way. I even trust them now to stay around them when I go away.

I am a total animal lover and never beat my dogs either but I totally agree with this. If you think...dogs are pack animals and YOU are their pack. In the pack the less dominant dog does get "put in its place" to let them know this. THAT is what you did here and now your dog knows where he stand in YOUR pack. What I usually do with my dogs is grab their snout tight when they do wrong and strongly say NO! It has always worked. ESPECIALLY when it was feeding time and they would try growling at us when they were pups.​

Back
Top Bottom