Our dog killed 5 of our RIR

Relaxing with the Reds

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 12, 2009
It was a sad day yesterday, our sweet German Shepherd mix turned into a killing machine and destroyed at least 5 of our RIR. My DH rescued 1 chick, 3 others emerged from the forest hours later, there is still no evidence of the remaining 3. Does anyone think it possible that they survived the night? They are 6 weeks old and were such a delight. We are headed off to F&F to electrify the fence so there isn't a repeat performance. But the poor babies who have survived the attack are not coming out of the coop, how long before they begin to feel secure again? Would replenishing the flock help with their recovery?
hit.gif

Yes they could have survived the night. They will calm down in a day or two. New chicks in the flock may be more disruptive than helpful at this time. I would give them a few days first.

Well, Tess (GS mix) is a part of our family and she knows that she is still in the "dog house". Tess will not go near the chicken coop fence at this point but DH and I have learned a sharp lesson, we are hoping the shock of the electric fence will cure further intrusion. Boy, we were thinking that Tess could be our livestock guard dog....
rant.gif
:barnie

Awww. Its tough when the pets cant get along. Our border collie/australian shep mix loved our chickens...perhaps too much.

She decided to play with one and had so much fun that she played with it to death...then decided that it tasted good.

We tied her out instead of letting her run loose but she would lay quietly in wait for the poor little mama's to walk by and WHAM.

We ended up re-homing her for a variety of reasons other than the chicken killing...

Hope it works out for you!
Kim

Back
Top Bottom