Our dogs got one of our chickens but it is alive

mollyb23

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 16, 2013
Our dogs got a hold of one of our chickens but did not kill her. They just plucked A LOT of feathers out around her neck. She doesn't appear to be bleeding or any punctures on her body but she looks terrible..I mean terrible...her neck is exposed. Should we put her down? She has been hiding in one of our bushes all day but we went to check her out and she is drinking water and walking around with the other chickens. The other chickens are also checking her out with their beak but they are not getting aggressive with her. The fact is I have no idea if she is suffering so I am torn on what to do. Do feathers grow back? Will she get infected if some of her neck is exposed like that?

If she just has a bare neck but is drinking and hanging out with the other chickens, then it sounds like you lucked out. I had one attacked by a hawk with a good sized puncture wound that has suffered nothing more than a few days in solitary and a slightly gimpy wing. I'm sure the first few days were not pleasant for her since we were spraying her wound with antiseptic spray, but I couldn't imagine having put her down. She is the most spoiled of our chickens now. If yours is up and moving, let her enjoy herself I say.

Thank you for the response! We will see how she does this next week and let you know!

If they do not leave her alone, you might have to isolate her for a while....if they peck her to the point of bleeding, you can get some bluekote to spray on her which is an antiseptic and camouflage...chickens peck at red stuff, like blood.

Back
Top Bottom