Our Egg Hatching thread! Hatch: Nov. 7th (Hatching Video PG 57)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MichiganWoods, Oct 17, 2008.

1. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Our eggs are due to arrive at my post office today. My incubator has been running for the past few days and is holding steady at 99.5 degrees. I'm slightly worried about the eggs because we had frost last night. I hope they kept the packages somewhere relatively warm while in transit. [​IMG]

If all goes according to plan, 22 eggs will go into the incubator either tonight or tomorrow morning. 12 Ameraucana/EE eggs, and 10 purebred Rhode Island White eggs. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] The eggs will be due to hatch around November 7th/8th. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Will make updates in this thread when we've got them!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    The eggs will be fine. I've had eggs shipped in December and in March and still had a great hatch rate. As for shipping eggs in January and February and living in Michigan - I'd bypass that. [​IMG] Good luck on your hatch! Pretty soon you'll have tons of fluffy butts running around.

3. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thanks for that info, Heidi! We're all very excited here, if you couldn't tell! [​IMG]

4. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    How fun for you!
    Good luck and hope your eggs get here today!

we have a hatch happening October 30th, if all goes well.
    only 2 and they are under my hen!

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Good luck !!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!! EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're beautiful! 2 out of the 10 Rhode Island White eggs broke in shipping, but the guy that sent me the Ameraucana/EE eggs sent me 2 extra, so we still ended up with a total of 22 eggs!

The colors are amazing. There is one egg in particular, you can see it there to the left along the edge, second up from the bottom. Not green at all, but not really blue either. It sort of matches the gray of the egg carton. That's kinda cool! How often do these "steel gray" eggs tend to pop up with the Ameraucana/EEs?

The three blue eggs are HUUUUUGE. I have a feeling that one of those in particular will have twin yolks, which means they probably won't hatch (I've seen some of those other threads involving twins). We'll see. I'm gonna try anyway!

7. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Note to self: Don't leave the eggs on the counter. That cat decided to bless half of the eggs by drooling on top of them. [​IMG] I wiped them off with a paper towel.... I hope cat drool doesn't effect hatchability! [​IMG] They're now tucked away in my closet where the incubator is.

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I just got back from the PO today too with my eggs!! I am sticking mine in the bator right away in the morning [​IMG] Mine were all good except one has a tiny chip out of the shell...I'm going to stick it in the bator anyhow. We will have the same hatch date [​IMG] I will be watching for your babies when mine are hatching [​IMG] GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

9. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Woo! All right! [​IMG] GOOD LUCK!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Are you waiting until morning so you can watch them hatch in the AM? I've been debating that. I was thinking I'd put them in tonight at around 8 or 9, but then they may start hatching late in the PM and the kids will want to watch it. In the end, I wanna do what's best for the eggs.

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    YUP exactly...my son missed most of the last ones because I did put them in the bator at night. So last time I put them in the bator in the am they hatched during the day [​IMG] So I'm going to try that again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by