Our First Break In...

LarryBirds

Chirping
Oct 10, 2018
After having chickens for just over a year, we had our first predator break in. Whatever it was it killed and devoured 1 of my americaunas, and stole 7 eggs.

Sorry to read about your loss. :hugs
Unfortunately, whatever broke in will likely be back. And soon.
Can you post pictures of your set up so we can advise you on potential ways to predator proof it?
You'll naturally get lots of advice on how to go about killing said predator, but the problem with this is that there are a thousand more predators waiting in line after the current suspect is dispatched. Predator proofing is the way to go.

Sorry to read about your loss. :hugs
Unfortunately, whatever broke in will likely be back. And soon.
Can you post pictures of your set up so we can advise you on potential ways to predator proof it?
You'll naturally get lots of advice on how to go about killing said predator, but the problem with this is that there are a thousand more predators waiting in line after the current suspect is dispatched. Predator proofing is the way to go.

I am not shocked that something got in. We have had them in the barn since December and there have been zero disturbances until last night. We noticed a very small hold under my barn, so I assume something dug its way in. I have filled it in and placed heavy rocks on top of the loose soil. I almost have their new coop up and running. I am just waiting on Amazon to send me the last few things I need for the run.

Game cameras are always good to have, so you know whats lurking around your coop.

My coop and run are open 24/7, but I like to know what comes around. I feel I have a pretty secure setup, but if something happened, I'd want to know what it was.

So sorry for you loss. My coop pop doors are also open 24/7. I have had losses in the past and have learned from them. I have electric wire around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and netting covering all of the pens due to losses from coyotes, foxes, bobcat, possum, owl and hawks. I have game cameras pointed at my coops and around on my property. Most night I have seen mostly coyotes on at least one of the cameras. Once a predator makes a kill you can be sure they will be back. Good luck...
IMAG000185 01.jpg

No such thing as only one coon ... there are many more around, they live in LARGE families!

More will be by, maybe even the killer ... keep your guard up, and traps set.

Really fortifying a run is pretty expensive. I am just going with regular chicken wire, an apron, netting for the roof. The coop should be very secure. Solid wood and hardwire cloth over the windows, so no entrance once the door is closed. I have seen coons in my yard but this hole was about the size of a tennis ball. I am really surprised that non of my other chickens were killed. I think they all must have flown the pen once the attack began.

If you have a game camera, put it up because the predator will be back now that it has made a kill then you will know for sure what you are dealing with unless you saw the predator. I'm sure these predators know the electric wire is there. I would have never known they were around if it weren't for the cameras. Good luck...
DSCF0002124 05.jpg
DSCF0001713 08.jpg
DSCF0002112019 01.jpg

If you have a game camera, put it up because the predator will be back now that it has made a kill then you will know for sure what you are dealing with unless you saw the predator. I'm sure these predators know the electric wire is there. I would have never known they were around if it weren't for the cameras. Good luck...
View attachment 1883274 View attachment 1883276 View attachment 1883277
man, thats pretty sweet. Whats the price on a game cam?

Back
Top Bottom