Our first broody!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by furbabymum, Feb 4, 2013.

1. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    It won't let me upload images right now but I'll try again later.

Anyway, we finally realized we have our first broody. I'm not sure how long she has been broody. I've been going in around egg laying time so seeing her in the box wasn't exactly unusual. However I went in late one night and she was in the box. That's when it clicked. So she had 6 eggs she was sitting on and when I realized I kind of put 6 more in there just in case most are infertile. I'm hoping it didn't put her off the whole thing. It's been pretty darn cold here so I'm not sure if she'll be able to hatch any but we are excited to find out. She's an almost 1 year old Austrolorp. Our roo is a young speckled Sussex. He's pretty much just come of age so I'm sure most eggs won't be fertile. Still, we are excited!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats. I remember being excited about my first broody. Now it's O-M-Gee, please make the broodies stop! Have one girl that's been broody off and on all winter. I won't give her eggs or let her keep any she finds. I also have her son "Oops". Where she hid the egg he hatched from for the full 21 days I'll never know; I check her coop thoroughly every day. She's a sneaky one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by