Our first chicken rescue!

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
Yesterday a guy DH knows called him and asked him if he would be interested in going out to one of his rental properties and catching a chicken. The guy didn't know what kind of chicken, just that it had been hanging around for awhile and the renters had been feeding it bread.

DH and I went out there last night, but we weren't exactly sure where the chicken might be, so we didn't find it. He talked to the guy again today and made sure which house was the right one and he took my oldest son with him this time (I'm not feeling good...dumb cold).

He called me a little while after they left to tell me they found the chicken...well DS did. DH was looking in the trees and DS was looking on the ground. He found her sitting on a nest of 4 eggs in a pile of leaves next to the house. Turns out it was a white Silkie hen!! Yay!!

The house sits in front of TSC, so I guess maybe she escaped from someones vehicle while they were in the store. The eggs weren't fertile/growing, so I threw them away and put her in a cage in my bathroom.

Here she is....
Pic_19Nov062008.jpg

Pic_18Nov062008.jpg

She seems pretty healthy, but a little dirty. She has a toe missing on one foot, maybe predator related and an extra claw on the other foot. She's not as fluffy as my other Silkies and is really thin. She was shedding feathers, so maybe molting also. White was one of the colors of Silkie that I didn't have yet. I am excited that she's white and a hen!

Now she needs a name!

Last edited:
I think I will name her Dymond (like Diamond).

Since that is the last name of the guy that called us to go get her. He was also the guy that showed us our house and helped us buy it when we moved to Pa.

I would name her Tractor since she came from TSC. Isn't it funny how animals find us sometimes?!?!

It totally is. We are surrounded by farms/farmers and being next to a TSC, its a wonder someone else didn't find her first.

The house she was at actually sits right along a busy highway. TSC sits back behind this house a bit. She evidently headed towards the highway and could have easily been roadkill.

Back
Top Bottom