Our first chickens...what kind are they?

harley96cube

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 3, 2010
Here are my new chickens. They were all hatched this spring.

66993_111_0211.jpg

This is the 3 hens.

66993_111_0209.jpg

There are 2 roosters... a red rooster and a mostly white rooster in this picture.

Can anyone tell me what breed they are?
The guy I got them from said he had Orpingtons, but I am not sure.
I picked a few that looked healthy and took them home.

I also have the pics on my chicken page.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=66993

The one on the left in the "3 hens" picture is an Easter Egger rooster. In the last pic, I see 3 roosters. The 2 white Easter Egger roos, and the red Rhode island red looking on with the large comb.

Well, the first day started out horrible!
I let the chickens out in the acre+ yard (which is fenced in).
My German Shepherd broke through the gate (pushed open...kid left unlocked).
He immediately started chasing the chickens and although he listens MOST of the time, this time he refused to stop/come, etc. and chased until he caught the white rooster.
It only took him a second to kill it once he caught it.

So, in the kennel he goes, I clean up the mess, and the white hen is missing.
This was about 11:00 a.m.

I thought that I was going to be able to introduce the dog to the chickens slowly and not have this problem.
I half expected to lose a couple during the process...but it's still frustrating.

By 2:00 p.m. I was back from town with more wire mesh. I rounded up some T-posts, cleared some brush and branches, and started pounding posts.
By 6:00 p.m. I have a section by the coop dedicated to chickens and no dog. The fence is wire mesh and is 5 feet high.
The area is about 1200 square feet.

For the next few days, chickens in at night, dog loose in yard...chickens out during day, dog in kennel (while nobody home).
I will work with the dog by the fence and hopefully get him used to the chickens so that I don't have to worry about him tearing the fence apart to get the chickens.

...by the way, about 4:00 p.m, the chickens came close to where I was workingand I could see that the white one was back...not sure where she was hiding.

Eventually I'd like to have the dog be protective of the chickens....keeping skunks, etc. away.
Any suggestions on how to cure a dog of chicken killing. (I know one way...but that is not an option yet).

i have the same problem ( 4 dogs ) one got a tast of a chicken now she wants more , i was told once that happens she will always want to eat them.... my coop is made out of 4x4s, 4 ft plywood, and 4 ft wire. plywood on bottom so they cant see them.

Back
Top Bottom