Our first coop, any suggestions experienced chickenfolk?

I agree with the previous posters!
smile.png

You might want to put a poop board underneath the roost. Chickens poop A LOT in their sleep, so it would probably make it easier to keep the coop clean. Doesn't have to be fancy, just a wooden board, long and wide enough so that all chicken butts will be directly above it.
big_smile.png
Doesn't have to sit there permanently either; you can hang it under the roost with strings, or cut it just long enough so that you can jam it between the walls without it falling down.

Then you can just take ten seconds to scrape the board off every morning, rather than painstakingly pick up every piece of poop from the floor.

A poop board not absolutely necessary, by any means, but it can make life easier for you and your chickens!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Sort of, but you are a little thin on options so I'd say if you don't have problems with chickens sleeping in the nestboxes at the present time maybe just let it be for now, see if by some chance you can get away with it.

If you start having problems with them roosting in the boxes at night, though (you will know b/c of poo), you will probably have to raise the roost and/or lower the boxes. Honestly I have the nestboxes in my tractor and one of my pens at floor level and have never had any problem with it, although I know people will tell you not to for various rationales.

I *think* all your other Q's have already been answered?

Good luck, have fun, cute chickens
smile.png

Pat

Quote:
I keep my layers' water inside during the winter, so it takes a little longer to freeze, and it's AWFUL. Alway spilling, stinky, and full of chips. I was soo glad when we got a warm up so I could put it outside in the run.

You might try an inexpensive aquarium heater in the water tank.. they are made to submerge so no electrical shock hazard and you already have the electricity in the coop for the light.

Last edited:
Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions! I already went out and raised up the waterer. I'll have a cardboard and duct tape cone installed shortly on the waterer that should take care of the roosting on it, I can tell by the poo pile between the back of the waterer and the door that someone is sleeping on top. Eventually I plan to have a big waterer out in the pen, but for now the weather is just too nasty.

I think we are okay on amount of roost, I know it doesn't show, but the roost is actally double what you can see. The two branches are in a v shape formation, same length & width from wall to wall.

I gave them a plate of leftover oatmeal, OMG I think they licked the plate clean, not a single glop was left. Once again, thank to all of you, I love this site and all the friendly folks!

Back
Top Bottom