Our first egg, and, how long do Ameraucanas take to start laying?

Valk

Chirping
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Durango, Colorado
One of our Barred Rocks gave us our first egg yesterday! Pictured below, it was a very nice egg.
wee.gif
(It was our wedding anniversary, too! What a thoughtful chicken!
wink.png
)

And, can anyone give me an idea of how long it takes Ameraucanas to start laying? I realize each chicken is different, but just wondering if there is a ballpark figure out there.

Thanks!

I have 2 Barred Rocks too, but none of our girls are laying yet. They are 21 weeks old. How old is yours?? And the same as my Easter Egger!! I am dying to see that first egg!!! :) Congrats with your first EGG!

Thanks, kwestley! Our Barred Rocks are 22 weeks old today. They were displaying egg-laying behavior for a while too. Lots of 'squatting' and clucking, and their combs were bright red. If that picture of your Barred Rock is very recent, I'd say her comb doesn't look as red or large as my Barred Rock's. Close though!
big_smile.png
Good luck, let us all know when you get your first egg!

Last edited:
Yes, none of my chickens are doing any egg laying behavior, no squatting or clucking!! I know it will be a bit longer until I see that first egg!!

I'll tell ya, we were watching the Barred Rocks pretty close for a while. She laid her egg when we were gone, of course!

You'll get that first egg before you know it!
big_smile.png

Finally, the wait is over!!!!!
celebrate.gif
I came home from work today, and I found 2 eggs right in the nesting box!!! I was so SURPRISED & EXCITED!!!! I believe they are from my Black Sex Links!!!
wee.gif
I am very proud of my girls!! They even know where to lay! I thought for sure they would lay in their run, but I guest I was wrong!!!

Holy smokes, congratulations, kwestley!!! Those are lovely eggs, and very large! When we found our first eggs we had to do like, four double-takes (I guess an octo-take
wink.png
) because we were so surprised. I'm glad your wait is over. Enjoy your eggs!

Thank you! I think they looked a bit larger in the picture than reality! I believe they are the same size as yours!! My husband came home and wanted to eat them right away, so they all gone!! :) Will see if we get any today!

One of our Barred Rocks gave us our first egg yesterday! Pictured below, it was a very nice egg.
wee.gif
(It was our wedding anniversary, too! What a thoughtful chicken!
wink.png
)

And, can anyone give me an idea of how long it takes Ameraucanas to start laying? I realize each chicken is different, but just wondering if there is a ballpark figure out there.

Thanks!

How funny, we got our first egg on our wedding anniversary too! Also still waiting on our Ameracaunas and Russian Orloffs to start laying... They are 25 weeks now.

Back
Top Bottom