Our First Egg from the New Flock!

ihatedarkroast

Songster
Sep 28, 2021
Martinsville, Virginia, USA
1st_egg.jpg

After waiting almost two and a half weeks, I found it yesterday. I think it was the head chicken Madea that laid it. She's an Ameraucana, the oldest, and has been walking around for days with a piece of grass in her beak arranging it in different places like she wanted to build a nest. But she actually laid the egg in the nesting box, not under the coop in the dirt hole, which is great! I had a round yellow rose-scented candle in there, cuz it was the best egg-like thing I could find in my house. Lol.

IMG_20211022_100339440.jpg

Ok, that's about as good a picture as I'm gonna get of Madea/Martha. She does squat. But, that's only if she lets me get close enough to her to trigger that. I have two of these hens that are siblings that look identical. One has slightly more grey than buff coloring. I'm not sure if one or both are laying. I've gotten 3 eggs in 4 days. None of my pullets have started though, that I'm sure of. These are the only two that should be laying blue.

They are getting layer mini pellets and scratch. But also since the turkey poults are in the run during the day, they are are snacking on game bird starter. They go nutzo over that stuff and guard the feeders from the poults. Poor poults were getting bullied and chased from corner to corner. So I finally gave up and bought a 50lb bag of meat bird crumble 22% protein. I put out a few extra dishes of that, and FINALLY everyone is happy and calm. Two of my hens are in moult so it should speed that up anyway, I hope.

Update: We are now getting white eggs as well as blue! So I have 3 hens laying: Madea, Martha, and I think the Delaware. But could it be the seabright mix's first egg or the silver laced Wyandotte's first egg? (brown eggs are not from mine)
neweggs.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom