Our first egg!

Mar 30, 2023
Petaluma, CA
My babies got me a Mother's Day gift :love Our very first egg! I also found a smaller greenish-blue egg with a very soft shell, which I assume is a malformed first attempt, but then I found this hard-shelled beauty! So very exciting!

We didn't finish the aviary over the weekend (as originally planned) because we ran into some problems with the door design... but we'll hopefully have it done this evening and have them moved in by end of day today or tomorrow! We're so very close. I feel bad they had to lay their first eggs in the grow-out box, but there's plenty of space in there and before they know it their mansion will be ready! To be honest, I didn't expect to get eggs so soon, as I know jumbos can take a bit longer to start laying and they're not even 7 weeks yet... Oh well, I'll take it!

We also have 3 more birds shipping from SWGB this week, so the pressure is ON to get this thing done 😅 I'll also get the info thread on the aviary build posted sometime in the next week or so. I want to make sure I've thoroughly documented all our mistakes first :p

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 10
My babies got me a Mother's Day gift :love Our very first egg! I also found a smaller greenish-blue egg with a very soft shell, which I assume is a malformed first attempt, but then I found this hard-shelled beauty! So very exciting!

We didn't finish the aviary over the weekend (as originally planned) because we ran into some problems with the door design... but we'll hopefully have it done this evening and have them moved in by end of day today or tomorrow! We're so very close. I feel bad they had to lay their first eggs in the grow-out box, but there's plenty of space in there and before they know it their mansion will be ready! To be honest, I didn't expect to get eggs so soon, as I know jumbos can take a bit longer to start laying and they're not even 7 weeks yet... Oh well, I'll take it!

We also have 3 more birds shipping from SWGB this week, so the pressure is ON to get this thing done 😅 I'll also get the info thread on the aviary build posted sometime in the next week or so. I want to make sure I've thoroughly documented all our mistakes first :p
Congratulations on your first egg. I also have jumbos. I started with them last June. The first birds hatched on June 14, and I got my first egg on July 24, which was 2 days less than 6 weeks. Every hatch since then, they've been pretty consistent with laying right around 6 weeks if not earlier. I agree that the greenish-blue soft egg was a first attempt. I see them often when the birds first start laying, but they typically figure it out. Just make sure to supplement their calcium with oyster shell or otherwise. They'll take what they need.

Congratulations on your first egg. I also have jumbos. I started with them last June. The first birds hatched on June 14, and I got my first egg on July 24, which was 2 days less than 6 weeks. Every hatch since then, they've been pretty consistent with laying right around 6 weeks if not earlier. I agree that the greenish-blue soft egg was a first attempt. I see them often when the birds first start laying, but they typically figure it out. Just make sure to supplement their calcium with oyster shell or otherwise. They'll take what they need.

Good to know, thank you! I had read somewhere that jumbos can sometimes mature more slowly, and may not lay until 8-10 weeks, but I could be misremembering 😓 Maybe it was that they didn't reach their full weight potential until 8-10 weeks? 🤔 Who remembers, I've read so much at this point 😅

I will definitely be getting them some calcium supplements ASAP! Thanks again

Good to know, thank you! I had read somewhere that jumbos can sometimes mature more slowly, and may not lay until 8-10 weeks, but I could be misremembering 😓 Maybe it was that they didn't reach their full weight potential until 8-10 weeks? 🤔 Who remembers, I've read so much at this point 😅

I will definitely be getting them some calcium supplements ASAP! Thanks again
Happy to help. As I recall, jumbos will reach their full weight at 10 weeks, but many people (who are raising for meat) will process excess males at 8 weeks because the incremental weight gain from the additional two weeks isn't worth the additional feed costs.

Back
Top Bottom