Our First Egg!

3sacrowd

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
85309_the_first_egg.jpg

and the second egg - laid right in the nest box where it was supposed to be.

85309_first_egg_in_nest.jpg

Pretty sure the curtains made all the difference.

85309_nest_box_curtain.jpg

Proudly laid by Raspberry, a fourth month old Golden Comet. We bought a pullet to replace the roo we had and had to return to the farm we got him from. We weren't interested in keeping a rooster. She is 4 months old and laid her first egg when she was at our home for an hour! Last night, when everyone was asleep, we placed her in the hen house with all the other girls. Late this morning she laid her second egg. Right in the nest box! No training necessary. Here's hoping that she shames the other girls into action!

I didn't quarantine her because half our flock is from the same guy in Seattle. Great animals, super knowledgeable and fabulous resource. Thanks, Kevin!

Kandi
-----------------------------------------
3 children, 1 husband, 1 betta, and 6 ladies: Barred Rock, Golden Comet, Ameraucauna, Buff Orpington, Silver Laced Polish, French Copper Black Maran

Congrats!!
yippiechickie.gif

We're waiting for our girls to start. We have one RIR whose comb and wattles are all big and red. But the waiting....
barnie.gif

Of course it is always fun to read about people who get their first egg.
caf.gif

I bought most of my (now 4 month old) chickens from Kevin, too. He is such a great guy! Three out of my eight have turned out to be roosters and I am thinking about getting another hen. Kevin showed me the Golden Comets, how do you like yours and is she getting along well with the rest of your flock? Obviously, she is a good layer - congrats!

We got our first egg last Friday evening when I went to shut the pop door! I couldn't believe it was in the nest box and just one day short of 16 weeks from when we bought our Red Stars (apparently the same as Red comets). The kids are so excited and we have gotten an egg a day since not sure from which of the six who are old enough! Anybody else do silly stuff like tell everyone you see??
lol.png

What nice eggs......they look perfect. Those are such happy days when you get your first eggs. I took the first 2, blew them out and saved them. Chicken-keeping is so much fun & egg-citing! Congratulations!
lol.png

@tags - She is doing really well. There have been a few "scuffles" but nothing of any consequence and certainly no lasting damage. I have to admit that sticking another chicken in there was scary at best. Our city doesn't allow more than six and we were at five so I was hesitant to only add one. If I could have added two, I would have. I would recommend that so that they have a buddy when the others are picking on them. That being said, it looks like the one who might be the alpha is the new one. All of our other chickens are super docile and get along really well.

Kevin was such a great resource and his animals are in such great shape that I am pretty sure I wouldn't buy a chicken from anyone else.

@chics n more - I am so silly that my hens have their own facebook page. The Hens - if you want to subscribe to it. Plus, I made the picture of the egg my home screen on my cell phone. But remember, you are talking to the girl who sewed velcro curtains for the coop so that they could be removed for washing should they get dirty. Also, I hung a wreath on the door to the run and am contemplating the artwork to hang on the walls. There you go. My friends think I am off the deep end. But then they ask me for eggs.... Go figure.
lau.gif

Kandi
------------------------
3 children, 1 husband, 1 betta, and 6 ladies: Barred Rock, Golden Comet, Ameraucauna, Buff Orpington, Silver Laced Polish, French Copper Black Maran

Back
Top Bottom