Our First Hatch!

Quote:
I tried both. The darned things just run away. I occasionally spend an hour or two shooting ants but as soon as one has gone ten more turn up. Actually, they are fascinating creatures to watch at work with their bug recycling job - until they find my feet.

Seriously, watching new life develop and the instinctive care given by the hens will never bore me, I'm sure. At least, I hope not. It's going to be difficult to stay detached. A friend of mine has pointed out that the flock will have exponential growth if we don't start to think carefully about how to limit it!

More good stuff tomorrow, I guess. We have fingers crossed that at least some of the remaining eggs will still hatch and that the chicks will all stay as strong as they looked today. I would try candling but might have to do it with bandaged hands.

One more peep this morning! All of them seem to be well and cared for. The cursing mother is just as obnoxious in protecting her young and has given my wife a nasty peck that left a mark. I now approach her in full armour with a lance - the mother, that is, not my wife.

'Yes dear' occasionally works with my wife. I haven't tried it with the turkeys yet.
hmm.png

I had hoped for the remainder of the day to be quiet but it hasn't been.

The hens in the coop decided to take two peeps outdoors and sit by the bug mesh where they could see the others inside. Who can blame them after a month on the nest? Others have since joined them out there. Then another egg hatched and a small, weak looking chick was left splayed out in the nest. The mothers were aware of it but were intent on guarding the others. Eventually, I decided to see whether the hen in the storeroom would adopt it. I thought it might be safer there with her so, I showed it water and food and moved it.

I watched for a few minutes and she seemed to accept it. Later I looked in on them. She and all of the other chicks were attending to it. The babies were showing it the water and gathering around it. Then they all encouraged it back to mum who covered them. Amazing stuff.

It may be coincidence are perhaps the noises made by the hens may have stirred up something but three young stags (toms) have been fighting today. Those neck bites look vicious but advice suggests that they should be left top sort out things themselves.

This is probably all old hat to you experienced people but I am finding it all very fascinating.

Awww what great stories!
hit.gif
I'm living vicariously through you.

Pictures would be wonderful, if you could manage some. (hint, hint)
wink.png

Please keep us updated.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Yesterday ended with a major change of strategy. The two hens together had not been seen showing their peeps to feed and one that hatched during the day was ignored. As dusk approached, the hens took all but the new peep over to the fence and looked for a way through. They were so intent on defending the peeps against our attempts at herding back them that some were trampled.

That was enough. All of the peeps are now under the netting in the storeroom along with the remaining eggs and the third hen. She has accepted the lot without a murmur. This morning she had moved them close to the food and water and was cloaking them with her wings as they trotted in and out to feed.

The other two hens are on lock down. This morning they were calling for the young and then went on the roof of a coop. That was probably preparatory to attempting to fly over the fence.

We now have 17 chicks from 27 eggs and, so far, no post-natal losses. The other 10 eggs seem not to have been fertilised. I'm pleased with that result from our first laying but shall be looking for a better ratio next time. I'll be thinking along the lines of a combination of nature's way and an incubator.

We heard peeping from the last egg to be hatched. That's the first time I have experienced it. This must sound naff to experienced poultry keepers but I felt privileged to hear that sound from a new life before it emerged from the shell.

The hen chosen to be mum to all 17 is relishing her job. We bought a traditional local woven cane chicken dome, covered it with netting and moved mother and babies to it on the back porch. During the daytime we are moving them all to a small patch of grass then back to the porch at night.

Here's a pic. of some of the chicks before we moved them all from the coop. One of the two rebel mothers is outside watching them but not showing them how to feed.

49563_first_hatch_-_june_2010_-_image_4.jpg

So very cool Thai. I wish temps were warm enough for theses little one to move around outside a bit. We have had 15 days of rain and cold temps. 50-60F with rain and no end in sight at this point. Great job you have been doing BTW.

Back
Top Bottom