Our first hatchling ever!!!!

titus2mommy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
I knew if anyone on earth would understand the thrill, the jubilation, the complete euphoria we feel, it would be you folks here.
smile.png

Our very first chickie ever hatched out today!!!!!!!!!!!!! There were so many variables that we just didn't know if it was going to work, but what a thrill that it did!!!!!!!!!!

We used an old incubator my dad built probably 30 yr ago and hoped it would still work. We saved 18 eggs to incubate, and after candling we ended up with 11 and hoped and prayed for the best.

We weren't expecting any excitement until perhaps tomorrow evening, which would be the 21st, but I'm a little OC so I had to keep checking anyway. Then lo and behold this afternoon there was a damp little chickie in there.

I let out a yelp and ran for the kiddos, giddy with excitement and squealing the whole time. Tell me this is normal.

What a miracle. I just wanted to share.

BTW, is it normal for their feet to look a little, well, deformed? I'm wondering if it's just from being cramped in the egg and tomorrow he'll look okay?

~Jill

I can't respond as to your foot question, but I can certainly appreciate your jubilation over your new chick! I've tried three times to hatch eggs and I got my first one today, too! Got some as far as about day 19 last time so I'm so excited!!! I'm just hoping things continue to go well for her. She's really lonely though. She's wandering around the incubator peeping for her friends!

It takes a while for their feet to look normal! Yeah when mine hatch, they look like they have crooked toes but after a few hours, they look normal..........

Ack! I can't figure out how to post a picture here, but ooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh yippee we've got another one! Both cute as can be. One other has pipped but no progress since last evening.

Quote:
I've been hatching out my own eggs for over 15 years now and still feel the wonder each time "I've got chicks a-hatching!"

Back
Top Bottom