Our first meat rabbits

Here is one of them.
IMG_20210116_160036.jpg

Cool! How many kits? Looks like she pulled lots of fur.
She did indeed. I didn't dare move them to count. But at least five from what I could see just opening the top of the nesting box. Could see two blacks and three white/tans but didn't move them to see if there were any underneath.

Just know New Zealand rabbits are not pets. They are the mammal equivalent of a leghorn and don't enjoy being handled, even if they were messed with since day one
What?!? My pure bred NZ is shy, yes, but he is also SUPER gentle, much better than a half NZ half Californian I used to have(she passed away) but her brother is currently my sweetest rabbit ever!

She did indeed. I didn't dare move them to count. But at least five from what I could see just opening the top of the nesting box. Could see two blacks and three white/tans but didn't move them to see if there were any underneath.
Congratulations! :wee

Distract the doe with a small treat, like a slice of apple, and take the nest box into the house to count them. She's only going to feed twice a day at most, so she won't really miss them. You want to make sure there are no dead kits and make sure all wet little is removed. Sometimes they won't fully clean up all birthing material, and wet kits lead to dead kits.
What?!? My pure bred NZ is shy, yes, but he is also SUPER gentle, much better than a half NZ half Californian I used to have(she passed away) but her brother is currently my sweetest rabbit ever!
Bucks seem to be better pets than does. Does get all hormonal and cranky when they need to be bred. Easiest way to improve a does mood it to toss her in the bucks cage for some lovin'.

Congratulations! :wee

Distract the doe with a small treat, like a slice of apple, and take the nest box into the house to count them. She's only going to feed twice a day at most, so she won't really miss them. You want to make sure there are no dead kits and make sure all wet little is removed. Sometimes they won't fully clean up all birthing material, and wet kits lead to dead kits.

Bucks seem to be better pets than does. Does get all hormonal and cranky when they need to be bred. Easiest way to improve a does mood it to toss her in the bucks cage for some lovin'.
It's attached. And she's incredibly protective of them. She goes right to her nest if she sees us coming.
I believe that's wrong, because I've got the sweetest girl ever XD

I wa
It's attached. And she's incredibly protective of them. She goes right to her nest if she sees us coming.
I believe that's wrong, because I've got the sweetest girl ever XD
I was referring to another post someone said about meat rabbits not being pets and bein mean. Should’ve been more clear. I was confused by what was said because my rabbits are VERY good. I’m glad that your doe is doing so well!!! I’m currently waiting for a doe to kindle myself😊

I wa

I was referring to another post someone said about meat rabbits not being pets and bein mean. Should’ve been more clear. I was confused by what was said because my rabbits are VERY good. I’m glad that your doe is doing so well!!! I’m currently waiting for a doe to kindle myself😊
If you're referring to my post, I didn't say they were mean. Just that my experience and those in my area that raised them found them to be flighty and nervous whenever touched or handled

Back
Top Bottom