Our gander isn't interested in our goose

lina500

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Cambodia
Our goose and gander are about 9 months old. Our goose has not started laying eggs yet, but is definitely going through puberty. Whenever my boyfriend gets near her she crouches down as if she wants him to mate with her. Today, we caught her trying to sit on the ducks' eggs. However, our gander has shown no interest in mating with her. He has, on the other hand, attempted to mate with our most promiscuous duck several times. So what gives? Are they just too young? Our goose is beautiful so that's definitely not the problem.

Ganders take more time to mature in my opinion , my buff ganders took a full year to begin mateing than gosh it was spring time or they probably wouldn't have started till this year

I had similar problem a few years ago. I separated my pair and soon they started mating and bonded. Now if a drake comes near he will get a flogging to remember.

@flockman do you mean you separated them from the rest of the flock or from each other? We only have four ducks and two geese and the geese are inseparable.

The ducks are just local mixed-breed Pekin-type ducks, although one looks similar to a Black Swedish. The geese are Chinese crosses.

@flockman do you mean you separated them from the rest of the flock or from each other? We only have four ducks and two geese and the geese are inseparable.
Giving them their own pen will get the gander interested and make sure they have a pool or something large enough to get into geese will mate on the ground but prefer water. I had a simular problem with my gander he was fixated on a Muscovy duck so I separated him with the goose only took a while but once breeding season began they became one.

Back
Top Bottom