2yr Goose w/egg bind behaviour when not laying

BlackRaven27

Chirping
May 29, 2021

Hopefully this video works.

I have a 2 yr old Goose that is suddenly walking as though she has egg bind but she has not started laying this season. She is in a big pen with a gander and 2 other geese. They have pools of water and the gander has just started mating them.

She is panting, holding her wings out, and pulsing her vent area. She also pushed as though to lay or poop twice while I was watching (didn't get video) and some clear stringy discharge came out.

She had no issues last night but suddenly this afternoon is in this state.

Any ideas on what it could be? Could this happen just from over mating? The gander doesn't appear to be out of control...

Appreciate anyone's input.

I would def get her on some Calcium Gluconate sure sounds like she is having difficulty laying. Letting her soak in some nice warm relaxing water can help and I wouldn't keep her with the gander in case he wants to mate with her.
What do you think @Goosebaby?
If you don't have cal glu you can give her another form of calcium but any of us who have females should keep Calcium Gluconate in the frig. It causes contractions which help move the egg down and out.

I would def get her on some Calcium Gluconate sure sounds like she is having difficulty laying. Letting her soak in some nice warm relaxing water can help and I wouldn't keep her with the gander in case he wants to mate with her.
What do you think @Goosebaby?
If you don't have cal glu you can give her another form of calcium but any of us who have females should keep Calcium Gluconate in the frig. It causes contractions which help move the egg down and out.
I will see how that helps.
She has not laid any eggs yet this year. Do you think its possible this is her first egg and its stuck? We didn't feel anything in her abdomen but...

Does she have access to oyster shell and do you have any calcium gluconate?

It looks like she’s currently egg bound, you can try setting her in a tub of warm water for a soak, it can help her to relax and pass an egg.
I do give them oyster shell in the Spring - oddly enough today was the first day I offered some to the girls. I wonder if that could have caused this? Seems unlikely.

None of the geese have started laying yet this year.

They are on layer pellets always though, so they have a steady intake of calcium. However, not enough during laying season which is why I begin supplying oyster shell this time of year.

She may just be starting back and is having trouble with her first egg of the year. My Runners eat oyster shells like its candy and they are also on layer feed. You can't always feel an egg. Plus all the symptoms you mentioned sound like a laying problem. The Calcium Gluconate will not hurt her if she isn't egg bound.

oh we're summoning people now? @Jenbirdee your the only person I know who has geese
You Rang? 😂 😂😂
Actually I posted asking about Cal Gluc dosage for my goose last year when I thought she was egg bound hang on ... Ill look for that post ... in the meantime here is what it looks like
calgluc.jpg
calgluc.jpg

It says injectable but dont do that! Just give it orally to a goose or a duck ...
heres the article I always refer to when suggesting someone give oral meds
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

One of my ducks has been walking like your goose ! started a few days ago, so I gave her Cal Gluc 3 days in a row and finally now she layed an egg. (sadly though it was out in the yard and the crows got to it before I did )

Back
Top Bottom