Our hatching chicks!!

SO loving the painted interiors in some of the brooders posted on these boards. As soon as this batch of chicks grows out, I'm going to paint the interior of mine. :)

Congrats to the OP on the hatch! Rooting for the rest to come out soon!

By the way, I open my incy twice a day during a hatch. I remove any chicks that are dry at each opening. I find that leaving them in the incubator for long periods of time leads to problems--they get curious and start getting in trouble with the heat element, or the fan, or the other eggs, or getting trapped behind things... Twice a day openings have never caused problems for me. I also use that time to add water if necessary, and remove shell pieces (which can also cause problems for other eggs if there are a lot of them, as they can end up "gluing" themselves to hatching eggs and... it's just messy). This takes mere moments. I grab all the dry babies in one or two quick handfuls, dump them in the prepped & nearby brooder, grab the shells, dump them in a nearby container, add any water, and close it back up.

Everybody has their own way of doing it, and that's mine. :)

P.S. If I've got pipped or zipping eggs at the time that I open the incubator, I also have a bottle of warm water on hand and spritz the open-but-not-hatched eggs with it to counteract any membrane drying effect from opening the bator. I don't know that it's necessary, but it feels like a reasonable precaution to me. :)

that is so cool we have a farm with chickens and are incubating our first lot of eggs we put 28 in the incubator and candled at day 8 we had to remove 8 eggs as they we unfertile we are trying to hatch australorps and light sussex we are now at day 15 and will be taking them out of the egg turner at 18 days to lay flat can someone tell me what humidity you would have the eggs at for the last 3 days thanks so much
80% humid but temp stay the same and when day 18 comes best not to open the incubator till they are all hatched and dry :)

T
SO loving the painted interiors in some of the brooders posted on these boards. As soon as this batch of chicks grows out, I'm going to paint the interior of mine. :)

Congrats to the OP on the hatch! Rooting for the rest to come out soon!

By the way, I open my incy twice a day during a hatch. I remove any chicks that are dry at each opening. I find that leaving them in the incubator for long periods of time leads to problems--they get curious and start getting in trouble with the heat element, or the fan, or the other eggs, or getting trapped behind things... Twice a day openings have never caused problems for me. I also use that time to add water if necessary, and remove shell pieces (which can also cause problems for other eggs if there are a lot of them, as they can end up "gluing" themselves to hatching eggs and... it's just messy). This takes mere moments. I grab all the dry babies in one or two quick handfuls, dump them in the prepped & nearby brooder, grab the shells, dump them in a nearby container, add any water, and close it back up.

Everybody has their own way of doing it, and that's mine. :)

Thank you:)

ADORE this brooder!!!!  OUT of the Box!!

Thank you! The top is hinged and it has chicken wire attached for ventilation, and the acrylic front is made to slide both ways so it has two ways of getting into. I had a blast making it. Hubby bought all the supplies:)

Back
Top Bottom