Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

He must have a hang over!
1f606.png

Good morning! Sorry to have kept you all waiting. I didn't get to bed until 3am, up for an early start for parkrun.....feel like death. I don't drink so no hang over but I sure feel wrecked.

Late last night I broke the rules and pulled 9 fluffies out and left 2 in. They had been in about 24 hours each, and were strong enough to stand and they were really quite rough, no to mentioned could reach the fan that I thought they could not. SO I started the brooder, got it all warm while I watch our first Maran hatch and then removed them.

There was another that had a funky big end pip, pretty much made a big hole in the big end with it's beak hanging out, I left it to it's own devises. This morning it's position had not changed, but it was dead. I opened up the hole and it was fully formed but had not finished absorbing the yolk.

The only formed death so far, hopefully the last.

While I was performing the snatch and grab, we also got the two suspicious Ara eggs and candled, both we not formed, with only a dark patch. I eggtopsied them this morning and there was no embryo at all, just a ruptured yolk, somehow slipping through my candling radar.

Wrong end pip made it out all on it's own.

32 went into lock down
22 are out playing chick bowls, 9 in the brooder, the rest still in the 'bator,
2 have been removed due to being clears,
2 are yet to pip
6 have pipped but yet to join the party.

Some terrible foggy eyed pics from just now.

Stomping grounds

Will get some better shots later when everyone is back together.

Kids have been freaked out by the five toes and feathered shanks on the Fav in the brooder, plus we think we have two blues in the incubator, not certain as they are not dry.

Still too early to make gender calls, my "gen-dar" has been a bit off lately anyway. A better post later in the day from me, but probably before you peeps rise anyway.

Hope that's enough for Clarabelle for now :D

How exciting! Sorry bout the one that didn't make it. It does happen but it is sad nonetheless. Two possible blues - hope so! And yeah, that fifth toes is a little freaky on favs - even when they're older, lol. I'm heading off to bed but I look forward to reading more about the new babies in the morning!

Back
Top Bottom