Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

From quiet to busy in a day!

Can't believe you had a chick visit you in bed, let alone being stalked by a car lol.

Our LA's meet local standard, the APA standard is very hard to meet, breeding in the rumpless and tuffted genes kills most chicks in the egg, then if they are to be shown to APA standard, you have to cull the tailed birds. Causes issues down the track. Here, they have left the tailed birds to breed, I assume to save more birds.

According to the local club, we have Araucana's, but I know that many 'APA standard' enthusiasits are agaisnt tailed birds being called Araucana's, even though Araucana's come with and without tails and muffs, it's just over there, the non standard birds are culled.

http://www.crestedbreeds.com/crested_breeds_araucana.html

Our Blue 'Lorp's look much like your Blue Bells from my research, single comb and shorter more vertical tail than the standard. I would be happy with some grey birds that lay cool eggs! If we could easily get EE's here I would go that path, yet to find a 'breeder' that has them locally.

Our's will hopefully grow up looking something like this one.

The Blue Bells are gorgeous, bit of lacing really grabs my fancy too.

Next hatch I hope to have found some of these Blue Australorps hehehehehe, I WILL find some around here!

Nice to hear from you Pam, I used store bought straw and not had an issue. When we get closer to egg laying I will go back to it, but only in the boxe's.

Worked late tonight, so no pictures yet :(

I like birds with tails :D. I'm not a fan of the rumpless look, lol. I think the OZ version is a smart way to go, why breed for a standard that creates genetic high mortality... plus tails are pretty!
Here's a little blue eye candy for ya!

I like birds with tails
big_smile.png
. I'm not a fan of the rumpless look, lol. I think the OZ version is a smart way to go, why breed for a standard that creates genetic high mortality... plus tails are pretty!
Here's a little blue eye candy for ya!
Wow, so Stunning. I have yet to find someone that has those here, have to settle for the Blue Australorp's. I found a lady that has them, but she has trouble guaranteeing blues as they are all in together. I like the tailed look too, and you are right about the mortality, I'm happy as long as they are healthy, blue eggs is a bonus!

Next hatch I would like some of those, Buff Orp's and a dark or green egg layer, like a French Wheaton or Partridge Araucana. Yet to decide but I can certainly see some other 'unusual' egg coloured breed coming in the next hatch, something like a French Wheaton Maran or a green egg laying Araucana/EE depending whats around next time. I think Alicia has capped us for the time being hahaha.

Not sure about the straw, I got mine in a compressed block from a pet store, also got a loose bag from a feed store, but I am in suburbia, plenty to choose from around our way.

When I get home tonight I'll send pics of my wheaten chicks. I lucked out and got both a male and female. I do not have an eye for what the standards are but the mother hen in me says they're kinda pretty!

I did not know that about the mortality rate being higher when breeding for the tail-less... neighbor has a rumpless barred.. I think it looks a bit funny... Ok.. A lot funny. I can't imagine a roo not having a tail...

It's like that with the Japanese Bantams. You get a 25% are infertile, 25% develop but die before hatching... All with a gene for the short legs. I only had one hatch out of the 7 I set... I think it was 7... I don't remember now.

Here are my french wheaten marans. They came from really nice dark eggs :) They both have VERY feathered legs & feet, especially the male. I don't know anything about SOP (I'm bad). Oh...and I won some eggs...so bad.

Back
Top Bottom