Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

He is a good little lad. Sometimes I move him about, and he just sits on my arm, happy as can be. He is not so keen about being dropped in with the big girls close by, but he seems to be getting better.

When he gets scared he climbs in with a broody and hides.

Given that so far, he only crows in the morning, and we use the night box, he has not upset anyone. Infact, since last Sunday, I have only heard him crow once, and that was today about mid morning. If he keeps that up, we will all get along just fine for quite some time.

The other two boy, the NH and BA might be another story though, won't be long before we will have to advertise them.

All was going well.

Yesterday afternoon after training I was just kicking back relaxing outside. The family have gone away for a couple of days and I was just chilling, watching all my happy chickens walking around on the freshly mown lawn.

This morning I got up to find Luna passed away in the run. I could not find an injury or reason. Simply tucked behind a post, still a little warm, but most certainly passed away.

She was a lovely big girls, lead hen and supplier of a large purple bloomed torpedo shaped egg. Very sorry to find her, but in a way happy I was watching her yesterday happily free range.

My only guess is that she has eaten something she should not have. Maybe a bit of cord from the whipper snipper, maybe a nail, screw or a long lost cigarette butt, I have no idea but her crop was empty when I found her.

RIP and thanks you to our big fluffy Black Australorp.

Sorry to hear about that. I live in Texas and have been reading since you started, finally subscribed. You all seem like friends all over the world. We all love our chickens, some more than others. I remember a roo that protected the new chicks from rain
when they couldn't make the little jump up into the coop. I had a favorite little red hen too.

Firstly congratulations on your race Ben!

I am so sorry to hear that Luna has passed away. She was a lovely hen that had a lot of personality by the sounds of it. Her sudden passing is a little odd however it does happen on occasion for one reason or another.
RIP Luna

Back
Top Bottom