Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Hahaha, thanks! I have seen that pics before, good for a laugh. "But I ran two marathons back to back" lol

Race went well, but I was hoping to finish a bit sooner, I am having trouble with normal body functions like rolling over, standing and putting socks on hahaha. Not a single blister, still have all my toe nails

I finished 50 trail miles in 9 hours 16 min 22 seconds and placed 10th, but there could be two disqualifies ahead of me so I could move up to 8th. It rained for the first 6 hours 46 minutes, then started raining again 40 minutes later until the finish.

A brutal experience that weirdly I enjoyed.

Cleaning the coop this morning was  real hoot, took me an hour to do the chores that normally take 10-15 minutes! We also joined the two flocks today, no blood so far so we are off to a good start.

I am yet to find the time to write a race report, but will share it and the video when they are done if you like.

:bow :celebrate :weee

Hahaha, thanks! I have seen that pics before, good for a laugh. "But I ran two marathons back to back" lol

Race went well, but I was hoping to finish a bit sooner, I am having trouble with normal body functions like rolling over, standing and putting socks on hahaha. Not a single blister, still have all my toe nails

I finished 50 trail miles in 9 hours 16 min 22 seconds and placed 10th, but there could be two disqualifies ahead of me so I could move up to 8th. It rained for the first 6 hours 46 minutes, then started raining again 40 minutes later until the finish.

A brutal experience that weirdly I enjoyed.

Cleaning the coop this morning was real hoot, took me an hour to do the chores that normally take 10-15 minutes! We also joined the two flocks today, no blood so far so we are off to a good start.

I am yet to find the time to write a race report, but will share it and the video when they are done if you like.
it's good to hear that you are OK and did rather well over all!
Yes, I would like you to share the report and video.
Thank You
Scott

Day 2, feeling a little more normal, only 2 minutes to get the socks on today and half hour down the chicken run!

I wrote a race report last night, it is a marathon read in it's own right, I just have trouble shutting up sometimes. I had a few requests from other runners to make sure I include that "like I was there feel' and it turned almost into it's own novel.

I will transfer a couple of pics and come back later to post it. Would be handy to know how to 'hide' posts in here like Felix does from time to time. That 'click to view a post within a post' function. (@vehve ) I looked at some of the video last night, it's not the best quality, wet lens all day and having to hold the camera in my hand after loosing the mount screw at 31km, it's won't be super quality.

The flock joining has gone pretty well. No blood, no deaths. The younger birds seem to be chased or prefer to stay in the coop most of the day. I go down a couple of time and shoo them out to the run so they get something to eat and drink. They excursions are getting longer.

Rosie and Amy are still broody, I have seen Rosie off the nest for a few moments twice now. Sal the SF seems on the fence, spends a lot of time on the nest, lays an egg and then leaves. I think it's only a matter of time until the eggs stope and the sitting stays.

I also think it's time to get the rooster box set up again, Dusty is forming quite the early morning crow. He is not incessant, but still I want to keep the other locals on board.

Ben, it's the spoiler tag, use the black speach bubble button to open a dialogue to create one. You can just give it a title and write ssomething to fill the space, click ok, and then edit it later to add pics etc. Looking forward to your run report.

Thanks mate, I can see how you do it now. Handy trick.

Well, pretty certain we have 3 broodies, Sal has been on all day long. 3 Nests taken up with golf ball hatchers!

We have the rooster box out, we put Dusty and the NH in there for the first night last night and it worked perfectly, let them out just before 8, happy as Larry and no one was woken before 6am like the past few days. He hardly crows through the day, so if it stays this way we may be able to hold onto him for a while.

Now the race report is a few pages long, so I will use the spoiler tag hiding thing so those not interested can scroll right by.

I have a history of these being detailed, but also long. Unfortunately, both go hand in hand.
I began the journey to the Waterous Trail on Foot 50 Mile Race in April. Myself and a swag load of other parkrunner’s had just completed the Bunbury Run Festival. Personally I had just finished my first 50km Ultra. After this, I slumped and suffered from a bit of depression. My goal had been achieved, and it was hard to come down. A friend pointed me toward ‘the next logical step’ *** 50 Miler. At the click of a registration button, I was happy again. As an added bonus, I was first to register, and landed the #1 Bib!
16 Weeks out from the event, I began a 50 mile training program, clocking up almost 1500km (or 34 marathons!) Many of those kilometres I ran with friends on trails at parkrun and a small community event I started based around intervals and night running. Many I ran alone too. I stuck to the program, and felt I was in a good position to throw myself at this race.
Late in the program, I did a night run with a few very good runners. It was amazing to be around such experienced and fast athletes. In some general chat it was mentioned that my initial goal of 9 hours was pretty generous. I went home and began to look at race predictors, and they too said 9 hours was very generous, so I changed my goal to 8 and planned accordingly. Mistake number 1, but I would not know that until it was too late.
Experience is a hard teacher, first you get the test, and then you get the lesson.
Race day came, delivered to the line in Jarrahdale by a wonderful and generous friend Sam. I then made mistake number 2. It was warmer than expected at the line, and not raining, so I left my rain coat on the dash, thinking ‘I will see it later if I need it, but it should fine up by lunch’.

In the early dawn light, I pinned my bib and got to catch up with a few runners I had recently met. We moved to the start patch as Ron synced our start via phone with the 100 Mile race starting in Dwellingup (they were to do an out and back to make up the staggering 164 kilometre distance!) Before I knew it as I was mucking about with my GoPro we were off. A few hundred meters down the path I saw another runner start his watch.....of all things to be distracted from! His watch beeped, and then I remembered I had not started mine either!
It took less than 500m for the pack of about 23* runners to shake out. The lead pack took off fast, and stupidly, I made the choice to hang on to the tail end of it, with Phil just behind me, and Nikki just in front. 6 guys bolted and the rest settled in. I was bang on target for 'Plan A', average pace of 5:30 for a sub 8 hour finish. I hung onto Nikki’s back bumper (I know she is a modest about her ahcievements, but I was pretty stoked to be running with her, running with a Badwater finisher [Google it if you don’t know] was amazing, so you can imagine running behind a podium finisher was a bit exciting! I may have gushed a bit!) I knew we had a similar target time, so I thought to maybe rely on her race experience to help me hit my goal. A brief chat with Phil as he passed me by and pushed on to a more comfortable pace. We caught up a couple more times, one was not for the best of reasons. I will get to that later.
5km in we hit quite a long hill, Strava reports 27% at its steepest, stretching out for about 2km. It was climbing this that it began to rain, light at first but steadily getting heavier. Over 6 and half hours later, it eased up.
I stayed about 50 meters behind Nikki into the first 14 km aid station at Kingsbury Road (1:14) As she blasted right through I stopped for my drop bag. While loading back up I spotted Sam, a nice surprise to see in the pouring rain. As I left I shouted “I lost my pacer!” Only to get 200m down the track/river/swamp to catch her again putting on her rain coat. ‘Hmmm, probably a good idea, hopefully it lets up soon’ Ha! Not likely!
I thought ‘I am passing Nikki Wynd!’ What I should have thought was ‘What are you doing passing Nikki Wynd!’ Another lesson. For a couple of kilometres she sat on my bumper and I slowly opened a gap. I was feeling good. Fast paced hike up the hills, work the downs and flats. So many fluids and no heat made for frequent rest stops. A full bladder is uncomfortable, running with a full bladder is impossible. As I waded back on course we joined up and ran together. She was looking really strong, quite comfortable. She openly shared tips and honestly, the company was nice. I didn't run with music, so it was nice to chat. She confirmed that my run walk plan was sound and we passed the km’s on an average pace of 5:30. Just short of the 31km aid station at North Dandalup Dam I went to set my GoPro up on my head mount, so I could film what it was like running through. In the cold wet process I dropped the screw....gone forever. Sorry to my kids, the footage was for them. We hit the bitumen and really hauled it into Nth Dandy (2:58).
I took a tiny bit longer to load up here with the help from a fellow parkrunner Andrew. I once again had to duck into the public loos and hit the road to see Nikki a couple of hundred meters in front. I picked up the cadence to try get back, but alarm bells rang about pace, and a couple of stones were rattling in my shoe that needed to be taken care of. I fixed my shoe as I left the bitumen, and she was gone to the woods. An occasional glimpse of blue up ahead, but after that I slowed. At about 34km’s with almost 50km’s to go I realised it was too fast, and I slowed in an effort to avoid blowing up, which was probably me actually blowing up.
I had backed off the pace a bit, hiked a little longer on the hills and then popped out in front of Dave’s white van, the Whittaker’s Rd 4km out and back. I was happy I would see Sam again here, but I also knew it was also a 2km climb. Sam was not there yet, so up I went. I passed Phil as he was coming back down, then I passed Nikki as she was coming back down, about 500-600m lead on me, both looked great. I didn't feel so great, after the climb I began to doubt all my plans.....I had thrown away all that training with an unreasonable goal. I hit the turn around and passed Duncan on his climb up, he too looked really good, climbing up the road he was closer than I thought he would be. Down the road some more and I passed Barb, smiles, waves and encouragement from everyone I saw, but I was in the hurt locker and I had still so far to go.
As I completed the out and back I saw Sam pull up, a fleeting “hey!” as we passed, I should have grabbed my rain coat then, but I didn’t. I had plenty of time to regret that later.
Duncan must have cranked down that hill as he caught me not long later, the need to pee was on me again, and in a way saved face to be passed while stationary. We ended up running together for a while, he had a great plan and was sticking to it, was working for him really well. He said that he ran with Barb for a while, she was really fast downhill and flat, but lost time on the hiking, where he had tons of hill training and opened the gap by running the ‘ups’ The very next hill I hiked, I was in damage control now and Duncan powered away with a rock steady pace. Third time I had been dropped this race, hmm, not a nice feeling!
Now I was alone, knowing Barb was behind me and 8 were in front. My plan was shot, my legs were still going ok, but I did not know for how long. I saw Hunter, the lead 100 miler come past, smiling and looking really fresh. Over the next few km’s I saw more 100’s coming north. It was a lift for me to think those runners were doing it tough, they would be wet all night, I should stop my inwards whinging, even if I walked to the finish from here I would be out of the rain before most of them, “Harden up buttercup” Along here I passed the marathon distance in about 4:12, an hour off my road time.
At about 48. point something km’s I passed a 100 miler who was standing on the track, adjusting something on his lower leg. I gave him a cheery greeting and ran right past him at my reserve ‘you dun goofed the first half of this race’ pace. I now think that 100 runner was at the turn I missed, maybe as I passed, distracted by chat I missed the tape, perhaps he was standing right infront of it? I continued up the path...straight...I climbed a hill and began to ponder how long it had been since I had seen any tape or a marker. I started to walk and look back. Simple processing here, ‘if I am off course, running will make it worse’ ‘If I walk and Barb catches me, I am on course or we are lost together....better to be lot together than alone!’ ‘Turn back and sacrifice the time now and be sure instead of continuing into an unknown’ ‘49.5 will be 1 km without seeing marker tape, go to there first and decide’ Amazing what a tired brain thinks. At this point I could see a road, I jogged down, feeling flat and what do you know, on the other side is pink tape! I said to myself “Well what do you know...I’m in the right place after all, and there’s another runner!” Well, let me tell you, just because you see another runner, does not mean you are not lost. Phil was pounding up Del Park Rd like a man on fire. I crossed the road to where the pink tape was and we caught up. He told me we were off course, he had just run all the way to Scarp Rd, got directions and smashed out the 2km return trip to where I was. The tape was random, same coloured tape. “Do we turn back down where we came out or what?” In his cheerful Irish accent he declared “nope, straight up here a ways” and we did. Off we went, running in the rain, off course and on the shoulder of a country road and facing up quite a long and daunting climb. I started to hike, Phil had regained composure and was off “sorry mate, I have got some time to make up” Like he had been poked with a hot sharp stick he was off up that hill. Ironmen.....sure are tough.
Once again I was alone, which normally I am fine with, but this time I hit a low, and things were not going my way. I contemplated what being off course entailed and I went into a mental tail spin. ‘I probably won't get a medal, probably won't even get a shirt’ ‘Paid up to be excluded’ ‘man this hurts’ I was so cold, the long hill hike had cooled me off and the drizzle had chilled me to the bone. ‘Man I wish I had taken that **** raincoat!’ I got that low the only thing that made me feel better was the thought of climbing into the back seat of our car and going home. It was then that I realised my wife and kids had been waiting there for quite a while. In the rain, and mud. I know my kids, they are lovely, but they would also be up to their ears in mud and questions while Alicia keeps the reigns in. All for me. All that training, the entry cost. All that sacrifice for me, to come here and prove some stupid goal to myself some stupid selfish test. It was selfish enough to start this journey, would be a total waste to throw it away.
I jogged into the 55km, uncontrollable shivering. My watch said 54.2km (5:40), so between not starting my watch at the start and the detour, I had lost a couple hundred meters. I asked if Duncan had been in and he answers that question himself by running into the station. The thought of quitting was long gone, but I could not cheat, I could not take an advantage that I should not have had. So I stayed there for 5 minutes after Duncan left. He earned that lead fair and square.
Before departing I made three good choices, was about time I did something right for this race. I put my wet buff and gloves on and I had my first Red bull since about 2010. Man what I lift I got from those simple things. Took a few minutes for the drink to work, and a little longer for the wet gloves and buff to help, but they all did and it got me running the flats and downs with confidence. ‘I wonder how far back Barb is now?’ ’10 clicks until the next stop’
Next toilet break I looked back and could see her in the distance, some big hills along here so if I hike hard I can keep her at bay. Before I knew it the extra drink had been right through, and a second toilet break in this 10km leg.....man that was getting annoying and uncomfortable. This time was just before the out and back to Oakley Dam, she had gained on me and was within 100m. I desperately wanted to look back, but also didn’t want to show her I was worried about her approach. If only I can keep her at bay until the 65km aid station, she can pass me there. She was hot on my heels on the long downhill before the station, she had me. It was there that I saw Alicia, taking a pic of the both of us. We got to the bottom together, but the post was at the top of a small hill, and like a immature child, I jogged a few paces up the hill and was in first, stupid I know, but things were not going my way, and I knew she was going to pass me anyway, she looked in so much better condition than I felt.
Oakley Dam aid station (7:13), now this had a vibe! It had food stacked, warm and spread out like some kind of runners Sizzlers. If I had the time I could have pulled up a chair and told them just how much I want to just stay there and eat. Kids off playing, my wife by my side, best camping trip I would ever had. That rain had even stopped, I know right...hard to believe!
17km to go, normally a walk in the park but not today, this was going to be a tough park to get across. I asked Barb if she wanted company on the way out. We left together, holy cow, somehow I had found the resolve to finish this thing, slower than planned but I was going to do it.
We ran together for a few km’s, hiking the hills and running the downs and flats, she was fast and had said she had plenty of time, she was aiming for a 10.5 hour finish, if we really worked we could scrap in under 9. It was optimistic to reach my initial goal, and given the screaming my legs were doing I doubted I could do it. It was on this leg that I started to receive quite a bit of negative feedback from my mental ‘systems checks’ Checks that I run on myself as some sort of third party assessment, it passes the time I guess. As expected, the normal thing came back as sore, at about the expected levels. I was on the lookout for pain that was new, intense or unexpected. My bladder was sore, didn't expect that before I started. Probably from filling so fast and not emptying it regularly and possibly from doing all those while running for about 70km that day. My forearms were sore, from controlling my bouncing hands, I have no idea how people run with handhelds! My shoulders were sore, as was my pack, expected considering I was wearing a pack. All expected I guess but the one thing that came back unexpected was the top of my left foot. Felt like my laces were too tight, next pee break I would have to adjust that.
On we pushed, I made some ground on Barb when she decided to hike for longer than I was ready, I had some good nutrition i.e. a caffeine gel and felt good, about 13 to go. On a long steady downhill she caught me again. My quads were toast, I was lucky to hold pace let along lift on the downs. Not long and I was rounded up again. I had a few stumbles, lucky to catch myself on my hands and not eat mud. It had starting raining some time ago, not long after the last aid I think. I was heading back into a mental low.
Every rise we hiked, Barb would open a small gap from time to time, but I would claw it back on the hikes, I was still good there, even though my hip flexors hated me. I cut myself a deal, you know the sort of crazy little deals you make with yourself. With just over ‘a parkrun’ to go I promised myself that Barb can finish in front, but I had to be close, don’t let her get away. Sounds silly saying it now but it made sense at the time. I REALLY wanted to walk it in. I was burnt up and Barb looked good. We were close together, and if she caught me slacking off she would call back “C’mon less than a parkrun to go!” I wanted to stop and die on a soft fern someplace and she was on the charge!
I stopped to pee again before the campground and loosened my laces, which was now coming back with ‘red alarms’ all the time, there was something wrong with the top of my foot, it didn’t go away with the change, deal with it later, 4 to go.
Barb had gotten away a few hundred on me now, a deal breaker in my book. I threw everything I had left to close the gap, to keep the deal. It took over a kay, I would run as far up the hills as possible, and hiked like a demon to try make up ground that I had lost. Dang she was still fast on the flats! Everything was hollering to stop but on we pressed and the gap closed, the watched beeped with 2 to go and I was back within talking distance, we were going to do it, outside of 9 hours now but who cares, I had just about completed two trail marathons back to back, and if my memory worked at all I was in 10th. We laughed and then ahead we could see someone, and pink tape, the final turn! It was Barb’s partner snapping pictures, it was almost over. I stumbled for the camera, held it out proud I held up my own little deal with myself. Barb crossed the line in provisional 9th, and I got our finish on the camera in a time of 9:16:22.
What a feeling, not as big of an emotional high as my first marathon, but I was happy it was over. The rain stopped, and soon after the sun came out. I just wanted to stop, to sit and not move. Some pics, hugs and race info and then people thinking much clearer than us began to push us away, towards showers and dry clothes, how wise. They must have noticed the uncontrollable shaking.
From here it was recovery, I got showered, put whimpered my compression pants on backwards, found a heap of chaffing that I never knew I had and started to get warm. I also learned that 4 people before me had missed the turns, and two had missed the last aid station all together, an easy mistake to make.
We bundled up the kids and kit to detour via North Dandalup Dam aid station so we could catch some friends who were volley’s and say thanks, then home.
This morning we had many laughs at my expense, the worst DOMS I have ever had, no part of my body was functioning properly and I thought of the 100’s still out there, grinding away. What troopers.

‘Get up and make the bed buttercup, you can do it with your finishers medal on’

Barb and I on approach to 65km aid station

A sample of what most of the trail looked like.

The two ladies in yellow compelted the 100 Mile event in just under 31 hours, the lady in the middle is in her early 60's, and did her first Ultra last year! The lady on the right is Nikki, 3rd lady at this years Badwater Ultra Marathon in the USA

The race organiser (left) and Bill. Bill is a stroke survivor, has some limited function and after his stroke was told he would most likely never walk again, let along run 50 miles. A champion in my book, he didn't even come last!

I have only had a quick look at the video, not a heap there really. Waiting on some more pictures to come from photographers before I start to edit something up.

Gripping storytelling once again Ben. Good job finishing the race, even though you didn't make your target time. Now you'll know better for next time
smile.png

What was the temperature? It doesn't look that cold, but of course you might have slightly less body fat than I do
tongue.png

Was not overly cold, was about 15c at the start of the race, but cooled off to 8-9. No idea what wind chill added. Felt pretty dang cool once the running stopped and was soaked right through, pretty big core temp swings I guess.

Back
Top Bottom