Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Condolences Ben
hugs.gif

Thanks everyone.

The kids were pretty sad when they got home from their weekend away. Our youngest (5) went to his room and drew a 'tribute to Loona' It was pretty moving.

I just wish I knew the cause so I could make sure it didn't happen again. I have suspicions it was something she ate but I have no proof of that. I had to shoo her out from down the side of the house where my brother sometimes smokes. I have never found a cigarette butt down there but she may have. Or perhaps some of the little pieces of plastic line trimmer that comes off after mowing the lawn. I have picked up a couple of those lately.

You are right Scott, I did see her happy the afternoon before.

I have been reading your story ... its amazing .. lots of great helpful hints ... I will keep reading ..

All was going well. Yesterday afternoon after training I was just kicking back relaxing outside. The family have gone away for a couple of days and I was just chilling, watching all my happy chickens walking around on the freshly mown lawn. This morning I got up to find Luna passed away in the run. I could not find an injury or reason. Simply tucked behind a post, still a little warm, but most certainly passed away. She was a lovely big girls, lead hen and supplier of a large purple bloomed torpedo shaped egg. Very sorry to find her, but in a way happy I was watching her yesterday happily free range. My only guess is that she has eaten something she should not have. Maybe a bit of cord from the whipper snipper, maybe a nail, screw or a long lost cigarette butt, I have no idea but her crop was empty when I found her. RIP and thanks you to our big fluffy Black Australorp.
Sorry for your loss :hugs

Last edited:
Thanks team, I have passed on you your well wishes to the kids. They have been pretty good with the 'process' but Luna passing unexpected seems to have shocked them.

We are expecting some precious cargo later tonight which is exciting. I have not told the kids yet but I am sure our most dedicated broody will be very pleased!

Yesterday I gave Dusty a hair cut around the eyes. I suspect he may have been so timid from simply not being able to see much beyond his bushy mop of a hair do. He is out in the run and far more active since.

Some good news this post.

With a special thanks to another member, tonight I was hand delivered a dozen of Tasmania's finest Coronation Sussex.

I could not wait until tomorrow so I marked them (as the other hens try to share nests sometimes) and slipped them under two of our broody's. Rosie the RIR is a proven mum, she got 6 and our Amy Wyandotte (SP) has shown great promise so she got 6 too. Our Salmon Fav 'Sal' got the spare dummy eggs. She looks like a solid broody this time, but last time I gave her eggs she let the Rock Sisters interfere and I had to rescue the clutch and incubate them myself.

Fingers crossed this time nature can work it's magic and we have a great broody hatch.

Back
Top Bottom