Our Lexie Passed On At 2 A.M.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
We are heartbroken even though we knew it was coming. Lexie turned 5 years old in March. She had not laid an egg in over a year, but it was only recently that her abdomen became enlarged. She had suffered from arthritic feet for awhile now and lost her best friend, Ivy, the other Barred Rock she grew up with, recently, to internal laying after a very long and valiant battle. I heard her go over the baby monitor. Reba, the RIR, who is slightly older than Lex, is suffering from something we can't figure out and was sitting beside her on the floor when it happened. She was visibly shaken when DH went out to get Lexie. He found Reba with her neck stretched over Lexie's body. It was so heartwrenching.

Lexie was pretty famous on the old EZboard BYC for being thought to be a cockerel for ages due to her super light coloring. She is the mother of many kids, including my Zane and his brothers. Here are some pics of Lexie as a younster and as an older lady. Today, I feel like doing some serious rethinking of my entire chicken plans after losing Lexie. She and her sisters brought us such joy.

DCP_3172Lexie.jpg

DCP_4211.jpg

DCP_4226.jpg

DCP_5179.jpg

DSCN0607.jpg

I'm sorry! It never gets easier, really, to lose our feathered friends, and I know you are going to miss her.

She's in Chicken Heaven, where streets are paved in sweet corn and the walls crawl with bugs!

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom