Our Lexie Passed On At 2 A.M.

I miss Lexie. It's odd, there is a hole here, a Lexie-shaped hole and I keep thinking I see her in the pen. I kept seeing Olivia for weeks after she died, too. Guess they will follow me around for the rest of my life, my ghostly entourage of feathered friends, not literally, but I know I'll feel them for a very long time.

Quote:
I understand, I can still see pumpkin and charlie some days. I miss them even now. I have learned a lot thanks to your hens. Like trying really hard to give them a break in the winter. Since they don't go broody. I am hoping to prevent the egg laying issues. I may get lucky or may not but I am trying my best to give them time off. I have found that going to a higher protein sure helped them during molt. Just know that Ivy, and Lexie did help some hens in Kansas so maybe they won't have these problems.

I'm sure that I won't be as emotional over every hen I lose in the future, but the first ones are just special. We never expected to get out of them what we did. Their personalities surprised and amazed us, each one with a different voice and charm. They just blew us away. They were as personable as any dog we'd ever had, some more friendly than others, some smarter than others, just like any dog, certainly more friendly and smart than any cat we've ever known (no offense to cat owners, LOL). When our dog has passed on, we plan to have no more dogs, only chickens, though in reduced numbers because we find our pet needs are completely fulfilled by our birds. And in addition, they provide us with food, fertilizer and entertainment, plus keep us moving so we don't turn to stone in our old age.

I am so sorry for your loss..She was a beauty, pretty girl! and you can tell she was loved, and I am sure she loved you..Again, so sorry.
sad.png

Last edited:
hugs.gif
If it wasn't for your pics of Lexie, I wouldn't have gotten my own BR Gertie. Sadly she passed away 2 months after we got her. I know what you mean about the original hens.........two debeaked (not knowing any better) red sex links were my first birds and I loved them and they taught me a lot about the chicken world. And I will always appreciate that bit of knowledge from them.

Luna, you should get a couple more BRs some day. They're such great girls. I have a BR cockerel and four BR pullets (will keep three) who are just 5 weeks old coming along now because mine are aging. I have Becca and Amanda, who are now 3 1/2; Fern, the daughter of the late Ivy, who is 2 1/2, and Barbara, the daughter of Fern, who is 1 1/2. You can't beat the Rocks as layers. I also have two blue Rock hens and a black Rock hen, plus little blue and splash Rock pullets in the grow out coop. The barreds were my first love, though. To me, they are the best all-round backyard or barnyard flock chicken.

Back
Top Bottom