Our little urban farm.

JenandDave

Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2015
Northwest USA
My wife and I have always dreamed of having a little farm. Here are some pics of what we've gotten started so far. Just bought our house last year so we are still in the beginning stages.

Our coop for our backyard flock!

Ran a fence to block off the back part of the yard.

Garden going in, lots of veggies, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, two Apricot trees and a Macadamia nut tree. 50 more plants and trees ordered!

And of course.....the ladies!

This is the first time they have all made contact. The Easter eggers and the Australorps are three weeks behind our barred rocks and bantam RIRs. They have been in the coop together but separated by wire for several weeks for a smooth integration. There were a few squabbles but nothing serious. Scarlet, our smallest Banty was puffing up on Sheila, one of our Australorps. Big Wilma, our big barred rock had to let them know that they were out of line! Wish I had gotten a pic of that!

looks great! We are also in the beginning stages of going self sufficient. I have been raising chickens, ducks, rabbits, and many other animals for years, but we are finally getting a garden started, planting fruit trees, and raising more animals for food purposes (i used to raise them for pets sorta). Our current project is fencing our two acres for my two dogs, then we will be working on the goat barn. How much land do you have?

looks great! We are also in the beginning stages of going self sufficient. I have been raising chickens, ducks, rabbits, and many other animals for years, but we are finally getting a garden started, planting fruit trees, and raising more animals for food purposes (i used to raise them for pets sorta). Our current project is fencing our two acres for my two dogs, then we will be working on the goat barn. How much land do you have? 
We have a lot in town that is roughly 1/3 acre. We are lucky that our house sits close to the street so the majority of our property is in back. Our lot is about 65ft wide and I fenced the back 30ft of it. Gives us a 65x30 space for our farm. We are planting dwarf and semi dwarf fruit trees and are allowed 10 hens in town (we have 8). With proper planning we will be able to take a lot of food off of the space we have.

We have a lot in town that is roughly 1/3 acre. We are lucky that our house sits close to the street so the majority of our property is in back. Our lot is about 65ft wide and I fenced the back 30ft of it. Gives us a 65x30 space for our farm. We are planting dwarf and semi dwarf fruit trees and are allowed 10 hens in town (we have 8). With proper planning we will be able to take a lot of food off of the space we have.
thats awesome! it is incredible what you can do with a small piece of land. I have some friends who grow almost all their own food (all except grains) on less than that amount of land. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom