Our Mixed Flock Journey!

Pics

drstratton

Enabler
Mar 15, 2020
Eastern WA - USA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone! I'm so excited to be here and have chickens in our lives again! I was trying to decide if I should wait until my new babies arrive or go ahead and get started with my thread! I have time, so here I am!

Our new chicks should arrive on Wednesday. That will give me time to get their Brooder set up! We ordered 16 chicks: 1 Buff Orpington Rooster & 4 hens, 2 Americana hens, 2 Midnight Majesty Maran hens, 3 Rhode Island Red hens, 1 Salmon Faverolle hen & 3 Welsummer hens.

We already have a chicken coop and pen area, but we are thinking about adding on to both as we used to keep Bantams and these babies will grow to need more room! My husband drew up the plans and built the coop! I will add some more pictures when our weather warms up a bit more, maybe on Tuesday!

I am picking up a crib for $30 in town tomorrow to use for a brooder, barring anything unforeseen happening! I will post pictures of how we set it up!

Thanks for stopping by!
Rene'
Chicken Coop.jpg
Crib for Chick Brooder.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC,,,,,,,,,,,,, what was your reason for discontinuing your previous chicken operations.
Crib is a good idea for your brooder. You will need to place some netting on sides as well. since the CHICKIES:love would be falling out of their balcony.:wee
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Congrats on your soon to be new chicks! :jumpy Great to get the thread started early, you seem to be bursting at the seams, I can remember being on pins and needles for months!!!

We will all be tuned in to see the baby pics here!!! :) :pop
Thanks! I am pretty excited. I love chickens especially the babies, but who doesn't love babies!!! Baby pictures will be posted on Wednesday! :jumpy

My husband was able to pick up the crib today! I was excited to find this crib as it is almost the same height on all sides, it will be easy to make the top for it! We went right to work getting it put together. The walls are dollar store foam board, they have a paper coating on them. My son designs & builds foam board & 3D remote control planes...this is some of his stash! My husband took a couple of drawers that he had and made an expandable floor. He wants to start the chicks in a smaller area and as they grow we will expand it until they have the full run of the brooder! We will build the cover tomorrow and set up the heat lamp! We will start them with a Mason jar waterer and I hope to add a horizontal nipple waterer! I am also hoping to add PVC feeders to open up more space for them as they grow! Our chicks shipped today, praying they arrive safely and on time on Wednesday!

Attachments

• Brooder Crib.jpg
    Brooder Crib.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Partially open floor.jpg
    Partially open floor.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Enclosed 1.jpg
    Enclosed 1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 159

Back
Top Bottom