Our Mixed Flock Journey!

Pics
A friend gave me 3 Silkies today, I think he brought 2 roosters and a hen, but I'm not sure! Here are a couple of pictures. I will try to get some better ones later! They haven't been handled at all, so not super friendly, yet! I don't know how this is going to work...I'm thinking they will always be too small to be a part of the main flock, but I don't know where else to place them right now! Am I correct in my thinking...Thanks!

First Day!
View attachment 2170567
View attachment 2170568

They're pretty Rene! I've never had Silkies so no experience with them. But a hatchery did send me a free Polish along with my dual purpose chicks one time and those DP girls did not like the "odd" looking Polish guy at all. Guess you'll have to see how they do together. :fl

They're pretty Rene! I've never had Silkies so no experience with them. But a hatchery did send me a free Polish along with my dual purpose chicks one time and those DP girls did not like the "odd" looking Polish guy at all. Guess you'll have to see how they do together. :fl
Thank you for that insight Debby! When he brought them over, I was busy in the yard, so I said give me a moment to set up the pen inside of the pen...he says, they'll be fine, just put them in there, then my husband seconded it...:rolleyes: So, I let him set one in there and of course, the chickens came over and immediately pecked it, which is what I knew would happen...then Elmer says, yeah that rooster is pretty big. So, they finally saw that it takes a bit to introduce them to each other! I hope it works out with them, if not, I might have to rehome them, because I don't think my husband wants to build a coop just for Silkies...lol! Although, we do have our tiny little Banty coop over in the pig pen...we might be able to move it for them, but I'm hoping we won't have to! :)

A friend gave me 3 Silkies today, I think he brought 2 roosters and a hen, but I'm not sure! Here are a couple of pictures. I will try to get some better ones later! They haven't been handled at all, so not super friendly, yet! I don't know how this is going to work...I'm thinking they will always be too small to be a part of the main flock, but I don't know where else to place them right now! Am I correct in my thinking...Thanks!

First Day!
View attachment 2170567
View attachment 2170568

How fun, Rene! They are very pretty. I would be afraid of them getting dirty :lau

They have a great home with you! I hope it goes well integrating them with the rest of your flock.

We had a huge storm blow through yesterday, branches were flying everywhere, our yard looked like tree Armageddon...lol!
We moved our vehicles over near two of our strongest tree's to protect them, it worked, my son has a mess in the garage from working on his Jeep, so I didn't have time to clean it before the storm hit!

View from the garden to the back yard!
Tree Armadeggdon Aftermath...Yard  5.30.2020.jpg

Tree Armadeggdon Aftermath...Garden  5.30.2020.jpg

After the yard cleanup we did a little more on the Chicken Coop! We decided that it needed more ventilation and light...the chicks won't go in if the light isn't on, I'm hoping the vent will give enough evening light that they will go in. If not, we are going to add windows on either side of the coop door. We also finally added in the roost bars, yay, I hope it will accommodate the whole flock!
Gable End Vent for Chicken Coop 5.31.2020.jpg

Roosts for Chicken Coop 5.31.2020.jpg

I need to add something into the nesting box to keep them out for a short time...they've been sleeping in there, now that we have the roost bars in place and the fact that they are higher than the nesting box, hopefully they won't want to sleep in there anymore!
Roosts for Chicken Coop   5.31.2020.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom