Our Mixed Flock Journey!

Pics
One more coop update that I didn't share! My husband wants to do the deep litter bed method...I wanted sand! We will see how this goes. Anyway we needed to raise the door from the coop to the pen. Here are a few pictures of the project!

Interior Before!
Before New Elevated Chicken Door 5.30.2020.jpg

After! I have cement blocks in there now so they have steps to get in and out!
New Elevated Chicken Door 5.30.2020.jpg

Cutting the new door!
New Chicken Ladder Construction Cutting the Door 5.30.2020.jpg

Raising door to coop for deep litter method 5.29.2020.jpg

Finished Product! He added a door that I can close to the outside of the new door! We didn't remove the old ramp because it was built into the coop, so it was easier to just leave it and use it to support the new ladder!
New Chicken Ladder 5.30.2020.jpg

I didn't get a picture of it before it was dirtied...but you all know how fast that happens...lol!
New Chicken Ladder  5.30.2020.jpg

One more coop update that I didn't share! My husband wants to do the deep litter bed method...I wanted sand! We will see how this goes. Anyway we needed to raise the door from the coop to the pen. Here are a few pictures of the project!

Interior Before!
View attachment 2171815
After! I have cement blocks in there now so they have steps to get in and out!
View attachment 2171822

Cutting the new door!
View attachment 2171818
View attachment 2171821
Finished Product! He added a door that I can close to the outside of the new door! We didn't remove the old ramp because it was built into the coop, so it was easier to just leave it and use it to support the new ladder!
View attachment 2171823

I didn't get a picture of it before it was dirtied...but you all know how fast that happens...lol!View attachment 2171824

I like the cover over the ramp, that's a good idea. Seems there is always something to do to a coop...sort of like our houses, always tweaking to be done.

Living here in the boonies of Wyoming, we know about wind! Taking down trees and cleaning up afterward is a huge job. It's probably well worth paying someone to do it (and less chance of injury to yourself & DH).

Do you guys have any special plans for retirement?
Yeah that wind can sure cost us a lot of extra work, can't it? Lol

We were planning on visiting different parts of the country. We wanted to pick an area and rent a place for a month or so, once or twice a year if finances allow! Now that our country is being decimated by all of the shutdowns, we are currently focusing on becoming more self sustaining. Hoping for the best, but trying our hardest to prepare for the worst! So right now, our travel plans are put on hold until whatever happens plays out! :(

I like the cover over the ramp, that's a good idea. Seems there is always something to do to a coop...sort of like our houses, always tweaking to be done.
Thank you, I like that new feature too, my husband is full of good ideas!

Adding to the above post, we were also planning some remodel projects in our house, but those are on hold too! So yes, there is always tweaking to be done! :)

Last edited:
A Silkie update! It's either feast or famine with my picture updates...today is a feast day...lol! I wish I knew if they are male or female! I did some research on where my friend purchased his chicks, I found out that the hatchery they came from vaccinates all of their chicks for Mareks and you can purchase other vaccines if you want to!

A better picture of the trio!
Silkies 2nd Day 6.1.2020.jpg

I spent a little time and changed the layout of their little pen! Last night I added the bottom half of the dog crate, turned upside down for them to sleep in...it took up more than 1/2 of their pen. So, I put the crate together, moved it out of the pen and opened the pen door so that it is on either side of it. I have the can holding the feed pushed up against it, I can move it and open the pen door to go in when I need to! I also set their food up on blocks like I had the water set up. It was full of dirt, so that needed to be done! I told my husband that I wanted to go get a pickup load of sand to put into the enclosed pen...I think it will look tidier and will be easier to clean the the dirt floor they currently have! I should have raked this area, but they were stressed enough with the rearranging I'd already done! Poor things!
Silkies 2nd Day New Pen Layout 6.1.2020.jpg

I would only do DLM on ground/earth floor. If you choose to do it on wood, (even painted) be prepared to replace floor in not sooooo long future.
Thank you for the good advice, not everyone would know that. We put a teflon sheet product on the floor to protect it, so hopefully that will be sufficient! Carolina Coops uses a similar product, that's where Dale came up with the idea. 😊

A Silkie update! It's either feast or famine with my picture updates...today is a feast day...lol! I wish I knew if they are male or female! I did some research on where my friend purchased his chicks, I found out that the hatchery they came from vaccinates all of their chicks for Mareks and you can purchase other vaccines if you want to!

View attachment 2171914
I spent a little time and changed the layout of their little pen! Last night I added the bottom half of the dog crate, turned upside down for them to sleep in...it took up more than 1/2 of their pen. So, I put the crate together, moved it out of the pen and opened the pen door so that it is on either side of it. I have the can holding the feed pushed up against it, I can move it and open the pen door to go in when I need to! I also set their food up on blocks like I had the water set up. It was full of dirt, so that needed to be done! I told my husband that I wanted to go get a pickup load of sand to put into the enclosed pen...I think it will look tidier and will be easier to clean the the dirt floor they currently have! I should have raked this area, but they were stressed enough with the rearranging I'd already done! Poor things!
View attachment 2171920
Everything is really looking good! The Silkies are cute!
I’m sure I’ve told you.. but I use sand and LOVE it! I used to do deep litter and it was so much more work AND it stunk... maybe I wasn’t doing it right but nonetheless.. it was way more work... every morning I just scoop the poop out of the sand with a metal cat litter scoop and toss it in a bucket which I then go throw on the compost.. it doesn’t stick to the bucket or anything cuz of the sand that is stuck to it... you have to do what you feel is best but I just can’t help telling people about how amazing sand is!
Here is Nilky.. and her Cochin daughters :D
77A0CB03-3B5E-4628-8171-3E7C6642EB37.jpeg
EA717C65-895F-4D0D-81F1-4CD3221EC618.jpeg
F843406B-FC27-4A35-A96C-9AF2DD2F5BF5.jpeg

View attachment 2171914
View attachment 2171920
Love love love! They are so darn cute. Kind of just want to snuggle them 😁

Have you posted on the "Breed and Gender" Forum? If you post picutes there someone might be able to help identify the gender! Im far from an expert but the two on the right look like males to me?

Back
Top Bottom