Our mystery chick

CatsvsDogs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 26, 2010
NW Washington
We received our broiler chicks in the mail a few weeks ago from MC Murray. I had ordered 25 broilers and ended up with 27 and a unknown chick. All of them are doing real good. Was hoping I could get an ID on this little one:

47819_2010-08-23_201935.jpg

Last edited:
Well that is pretty funny. I have been debating whether to get a rooster to have the option to hatch eggs. Guess that's been decided.

Also looks very like my Black Copper Marans chick did. I didn't know what it was at first and when I posted pics on here for help, BC Marans and Australorp were the two favourites. I only settled the debate for sure when I found out that the breeder I got my eggs from didn't have any Australorps. And yes, it looks VERY roo-ish!

Quote:
I don't know why it is, but when I raise chicks that turn out to be roos, I still love 'em as much as the others, and I get really defensive about the "must re-home them" topic. Now, I live alone, so there's nobody pushing me to re-home them, but it makes sense to not have more than one rooster.

However, they're so cute! They know they're not the boss, my rooster Carl lets them know that right away. As they start to crow, he doesn't mind. He just doesn't let them mount his girls. They can crow, strut around, flare their neck feathers and run at each other, but they better not do that with HIM. He shuts 'em down right away - no fighting, it's just that he's so much bigger and HIS neck flare and wing flap is so much more impressive.

I bet you'll love your little rooster.

I second the black australorp roo vote. Looks just like my little guy did. He was a very sweet roo, too! Unfortunately, I had to rehome him because I am not allowed to have chickens at all, so a roo is a dead give away! Good luck with your little man!!

Back
Top Bottom