Our new additions! Can someone tell me what the "official" names are?

shellie003

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
NE WI
Hi! I am new to the message boards and new to chickens! My husband and I decided to raise our own chickens. We ordered them from our local feed mill. All the descriptions said is Brown and Special Black. We got 4 of each. They are 16 days home. We also acquired a Delaware chick from a friend who tried to hatch his own and it is the only one who made it. We ordered all pullets from the feed mill but we are not sure what the Delaware is. Does anyone know what the official name of the Brown and Special Black ones might be?
I hope I post pictures right.

57174_dsc_0012.jpg

57174_dsc_0015.jpg

57174_dsc_0009.jpg

Thanks and look forward to learning from all of you!

The ones that aren't black look like my golden buffs, which I believe are also called red stars or sex-link. But I'm only 1 1/2 months into this.
hu.gif

Most likely Black Sex-Links and Red Sex-Links. Blacks are usually a cross between a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster and a Barred Rock hen. Red sex-links are a cross between a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster and a White Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island White or Delaware hen. Oh and by the way,
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you could join us.

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Absolutely, they are nice chickens...of course, I think just about ALL chickens are nice chickens.
thumbsup.gif

They're called Sexlinks because the males and females are different colors, so sexing is nearly 100% accurate even as baby chicks. They're also bred to be excellent brown egg layers, so you'll have plenty of breakfast eggs in about 5 or 6 months! Congratulations!

I just bought 2 hens full grown and didnt know what breed they were either. I joined BYC about a month ago and had TONS of people helping me out
smile.png
Love it here, you will too.

Anyways, my 2 hens are 1 red sex link 1 black sex link. They are friendly, quiet (for the most part, the black one I have squawks a lot and the brown one is silent), they are GREAT EGG LAYERS!! I adopted them without knowing what breed they were, kind of like you, but I think I lucked out BIG TIME!! (Sex links are known as some of the best egg layers around!!) My red sex link (your brown ones) Lay's HUGE brown eggs. My black sex link (your black ones) Lays a much smaller egg but its much tastier !!! Wonder if yours will be the same
smile.png
Post pics as they grow older
big_smile.png

I think they look like RSL or Red Stars and BSL or Black Stars. If that is what they are you have some very good egg layers. I started with Red Stars and they lay big sometimes huge brown eggs. and I have heard the Black Stars are the same way. I also have some Delaware hens and one Delaware roo "Jack' they are very friendly birds and hope it makes it ok.

Back
Top Bottom