Our "new" barn and coop!!

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
My daughter bought her first house 3 years ago right after turning 20 years old. It was a lovely old farmhouse with a falling down old barn. We both fell in love with it and over the 4 months after she bought it we (I'm her Mom) totally renovated the house. It was a LOT of hard work but now it's a lovely old home with all new bathrooms and kitchen, refinished hardwood floors, etc. The one thing we really didn't do much to in the beginning was the barn. Shortly after she moved in, we bought 12 chicks of various breeds, all large fowl pullets and hus began a journey into our world of chickens. I quickly threw up 3, then the 4th pen to accommodate the increasing flock (you know how that is
wink.png
) but it was difficult to get in and out and clean because I made it too low and we are both tall!

We bought a small flock of young black bantam cochins and come show time, she was winning at every show. Then Uncle Sam came calling and she was deployed to Iraq the next February so we had to sell the cochins. She had invited her grandmother to live with her when she bought the house, so there was someone living there and taking care of all the chickens.

While my daughter was in Iraq, I spent the entire year working on the barn. I tore down the old coops, put a shedrow on the sides and back of the back and built coops under the shedrows on the right side and back. While she was gone, her grandma decided she wanted silkies so we began our foray into the silkie world. We have fallen in love, for sure!

Robin came back from Iraq this past April and has been enjoying the new coops and renovated barn. It was a true labor of love and I enjoy so much spending time at her place with our birds!!

I thought I would share the before and after pics of the barn.

9079_hpim0255.jpg

9079_hpim0350.jpg

9079_hpim0351.jpg

9079_hpim0264.jpg

9079_downloaded_9-7-09_072.jpg

9079_img_3147.jpg

9079_img_0990.jpg

9079_p2170056.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful work!!! How wonderfully supportive you are and I'm sure your daughter will love the barn/ coop when she comes home-looks like the girls already do!
big_smile.png

Hmmm...do you travel with tools?
wink.png

God bless you and your family!

Back
Top Bottom