1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our new Buff... HEN???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wjallen05, Aug 1, 2008.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    please delete

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Yeah, pix would help.

3. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on your Buff, I got 3 new pullets last night, post a pic of your new hen/roo
    sounds like its a roo though

4. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    hmmm... ok, upon further examination, I do believe it's a hen. She looks very much like a hen, as far as being short and fat. And she is acting very motherly to the 4 new 7 week old chicks we got with her (they might be hers? not sure)

I did run down and get pictures but will post them later on, in a new post, because I took pics of all our Buffs except my for sure rooster and I want to confirm their gender on all of them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Buff orp hens at 1 year will have huge red wattles and combs. My girls are 7 months and have large wattles and combs - I'd say that's a girl.

A lot of people who see my chickens for the first time think I have nothing but roosters because they think that large red wattles/combs mean rooster - too many cartoons....

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    You know, from what i have seen, dominant hens will have large wattles/combs and will also be of much brighter color than other non-dominant hens. As soon as i sold my rooster, two of my girls wattles got HUGE along with their combs, and also became a much brighter color. If i didnt know any better, id say they were maturing roo's!

So, maybe she's a dominant hen? Not completely sure, but i hope i helped [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by