Our new chicks - Help us figure out what they are please?

RedChickBarn

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Temple Terrace, Florida
We bought 10- 2 week old chicks today. The guy at the store said that there are 4 breeds, but the only one we remembered was Americauna, but we're not sure which ones are the Americaunas - we think they are the gray/black ones with the bars on the wings, but have seen different pictures of the A's that don't look anything like ours. We have:

Here are some pictures of them:

A small gray one with feathered legs, 5 toes

One of our creamy yellow/white chicks

Our brown with black wings (brown specks on the tips of the feathers) and white around the face and neck

Looks like some of our others, but has a white spot on his (?) head

A black one that looks similar to the others but with a white chest and white on the face (a black australorp maybe?)

Some of our other little guys/gals

Thanks for anyone that can help identify our chicks! We've searched through pictures online and at BYC, but there are so many!

Last edited:
Our babies are much older now - 6 weeks old :) It has been a month since we got them and boy, have they grown!

There is one that I'm starting to think is not the "she" she was supposed to be - The comb was much darker and growing much faster than the other chicks (although he/she is the only australorp in the bunch, so it was hard to compare). This one is acting more like either a roo or a mother hen! When a couple of our barred rock hens go at it, either the br roo or this one will jump in the middle of it - depending on whose closer it seems.

I'm I right that she is a he??? We already have one roo that we're sure of, so either way we'll be happy!

So proud of them though - they are figuring out the ladder up to their roost! It took a couple days, but I think they've got it :)

Our babies are much older now - 6 weeks old :) It has been a month since we got them and boy, have they grown!

There is one that I'm starting to think is not the "she" she was supposed to be - The comb was much darker and growing much faster than the other chicks (although he/she is the only australorp in the bunch, so it was hard to compare). This one is acting more like either a roo or a mother hen! When a couple of our barred rock hens go at it, either the br roo or this one will jump in the middle of it - depending on whose closer it seems.

I'm I right that she is a he??? We already have one roo that we're sure of, so either way we'll be happy!

So proud of them though - they are figuring out the ladder up to their roost! It took a couple days, but I think they've got it :)

Yeah thats a he.

We bought 10- 2 week old chicks today. The guy at the store said that there are 4 breeds, but the only one we remembered was Americauna, but we're not sure which ones are the Americaunas - we think they are the gray/black ones with the bars on the wings, but have seen different pictures of the A's that don't look anything like ours. We have:

Here are some pictures of them:

A small gray one with feathered legs, 5 toes

One of our creamy yellow/white chicks

Our brown with black wings (brown specks on the tips of the feathers) and white around the face and neck

Looks like some of our others, but has a white spot on his (?) head

A black one that looks similar to the others but with a white chest and white on the face (a black australorp maybe?)

Some of our other little guys/gals

Thanks for anyone that can help identify our chicks! We've searched through pictures online and at BYC, but there are so many!

1. 5 toes, silkie
2. and 3. Easter Eggers from the looks. In other words Amurcanas
4. Barred Rock
5. Black Austerlop
Oh and the last pic, not sure about that black one, but the spot on head is the Barred rock.

Last edited:
The first isn't a silkie. It has normal feathers, and doesn't look to have black skin. Is the second bantam or LF? I'd guess Leghorn or California Grey.

I should have said it isn't a pure silkie. Could be a mix. Did your feed store order chicks from Privett by any chance? A lady posted not too long ago asking the breed of a chick that looks like yours. Feed store insisted it was a silkie, but like yours it had normal feathers. Those chicks came from Privett.

Oh, other 5 toed breeds are Faverolles, Dorkings, Houdans, Sultans. Doesn't look to be a mix of any of those.

Last edited:
I should have said it isn't a pure silkie. Could be a mix. Did your feed store order chicks from Privett by any chance? A lady posted not too long ago asking the breed of a chick that looks like yours. Feed store insisted it was a silkie, but like yours it had normal feathers. Those chicks came from Privett.

Oh, other 5 toed breeds are Faverolles, Dorkings, Houdans, Sultans. Doesn't look to be a mix of any of those.

Wow, i just thought silkies had 5 toes, learn something new every day!

Back
Top Bottom