Our new "neighbor"

those things give me the willies! They always come up to our camp sites when we are camping and snuffle around picking up smores crumbs. I bet they would steal eggs. Reminds me of the joke: "Why did the chicken cross the road? To show the armidillo that it could be done!"
gig.gif

Have no idea how to get rid of it, they never seem bothered by us or the dog lunging at it, just sort of lumber away leisurely.

Quote:
This is true, I assure you (nurse here.) You're not likely to catch it if you don't handle the animal foolishly, granted, but it is most certainly there.

I love armadillos! They are so much fun to watch. At my other place, we get them around the yard. I'm not too far north for them now but we don't see many up this way.

First time I saw one I was 14 on a family vacation to Texas and back. Startled the heck out of me when I saw the "tire rubber" on the side of the road moving!!! That's what they looked like! The rubber from tires that gets thrown off onto the side of the road! It wasn't until we slowed to take a closer look did we realize what it really was. They are just too dang cute!

One night a few years ago DH opened the door to let our black lab out for the last time before bed, as usual. Unfortunately, there was an armadillo on the front porch eating bugs that were attracted to the porch light. It went something like this:
DH opened the door, then:
1) dog raced out the door past armadillo
2) armadillo saw dog
3) dog stops and looks back at armadillo
4)armadillo starts to make a run for it INTO THE HOUSE
5) DH slams door just as dog and armadillo hit the (now) closed door
6) Both dog and armadillo survive

But seriously; as I recall, the leopracy is found in the dirt where they live. I'd get rid of it... We own property in Live Oak County, Tx and (as of a few years ago) it had the most cases of leopracy in the country. I think it is because it also has the most armadillos per acre...

We have one that lives under the house. She had babies last year - adorable and not afraid of people at all. I love watching her gather leaves for bedding each morning.

She drives the new LGD crazy. She will not be chased off. I think they have come to an agreement now because the dog doesn't bark at her anymore.

Back
Top Bottom