Our new school yard chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Maggies Pop, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Maggies Pop

Maggies Pop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Middletown (No CAL)
    We just went and picked up our new addition to our school yard! I am so excited about this program....the kids are too! I have them in the brooder at my house and tomorrow morning I will set them up in class. We got two Buckeye's, 2 Polish and 2 EE's. The EE's are about 3 wks old and the Buckeye's and Polish are 2 days old.

I feel so blessed to be able to bring chickens to our school and I am confident they will be educational as well as fun in more ways that I can possibly imagine!

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Sounds like fun! Lucky kids [​IMG]

3. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    It sounds like fun as well as being educational. I'd be careful about the age difference, though. You might give the wee ones a chance to grow a bit before putting them in with the older ones. Chicks grow amazingly fast.

4. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Awesome!!!!

5. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    How fun!!!

6. kab

kab Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    That sounds like so much fun for not only you but also the children.. There just isn't many things cuter than a baby chick! [​IMG]

7. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    [​IMG]

8. Maggies Pop

Sep 23, 2009
    Middletown (No CAL)
    Thanks friends!
    It's been a lot of fun. Each class adopted 2 chicks (we have combined classes), named them and had lot's of questions. It's been a fun few days, that's for sure! And the chicks are handling it pretty well. We had a no holding rule this first week so the chicks to get acclimated to their new surroundings. We will gently introduce them this week...hope everything goes well. [​IMG]

9. MomKat

MomKat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    Wow! Lucky students and teacher! What grade do you teach? I teach 4th, and I would love to introduce something like this to my kids!

10. Maggies Pop

Sep 23, 2009
    Middletown (No CAL)
    Quote:Hi MomKat--you should look into it. I was incredibly surprised how easy it was to get the ok. I thought it would be tough.

I don't actually teach. I am the President of the School Board and the Garden Director (which includes the chicks!). I am there enough to be put on the payroll though and probably more than some of the full time employees! lol My daughter is in 1st grade, she is in a combined K/1 class. I spend a lot of time there doing my duties and volunteering. [​IMG]

The Sept issue of Hobby Home has a nice article about chickens and classrooms. You should check it out. And if you get serious about wanting to do this, feel free to message me (or email me [email protected]) I will give you whatever info I have to help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by