Our Reluctant Rooster

From looking at the hackle feathers in pic 1, the saddle feathers in pic 2 and the overall shape in the last pic, I am convinced that it is a hen!
smile.png
Oh, that's good information, justplainbatty, thank you for it! If you're interested, I made an album with a whole lot more picture of Brienne, here.

Looks every bit like a pullet to me - the large comb in and of itself is not that much of a factor to me as with mixed breed birds, even among siblings of the same hatch, you can see quite a bit of variance in how certain characteristics are expressed. The saddle and hackle feathers are female and the egg counts seal the deal, imo.

Yes! I have 4 roosters. 3 crow, one does not. I also am confused about the lack of saddle feathers on your bird.... Strange. Could we get a picture of the legs? And if possible, a video of him walking and clucking (roosters walk and cluck differently than hens)

I've got an album filled with pics of just Brienne I made today. I can take video, but it may take me a bit to figure out how to post it here. I'm such a noob here lolol!

Oh and one more thing - if he's a she, and is laying that egg, she won't squat for me like the rest do!

There are a LOT more Brienne pictures in an album I made. I don't have a good handle on posting and such yet, so hopefully I can link to the album correctly... here.

good pics of your hen!
smile.png

Last edited:
Yes! I have 4 roosters. 3 crow, one does not. I also am confused about the lack of saddle feathers on your bird.... Strange. Could we get a picture of the legs? And if possible, a video of him walking and clucking (roosters walk and cluck differently than hens)
0.jpg

Video of Brienne, since you asked.
smile.png
Heehee, I'm getting a lot of experience with media posts today!

Well! With those skinny legs, lack of saddle feathers, and behavior seen in the video; I do believe that's a hen! You should be getting eggs from her anytime now, if not already!

I can tell you I am peanut butter and jealous! She's got to be the prettiest mix I've ever seen!

I vote hen too.

I don't see anything to indicate roo in that video. Even her comb, whilst big, just reminds me of the big leghorn combs the hens have.

She is lovely!

- Krista

Back
Top Bottom