Our rooster is headed to freezer camp

Ravishaw

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
I've tolerated our rooster since we got him. This morning after I left for work my wife emailed me to tell me our cowardly rooster snuck up and pecked my daughter's back hard enough to leave a welt and break the skin. My daughter is 2 and a half.

He's as good as gone in my book. Tonight I'm putting him in rooster isolation and Saturday someone's coming out to the house and showing me how to process a chicken (i've never done it before).

I'm particularly disappointed in this rooster. A dog snuck in our yard and my rooster HID BEHIND THE HOUSE while two hens got mauled (both lived).

Another thing, I used to have a little cochin rooster. He was adorable, TO DIE FOR gorgeous looking. I bet he could have won prizes at show. At any rate, he spent the majority of his day clucking and fussing over the hens we had. And he danced. This rooster I have now... doesn't dance. In fact he does very little of the show roosters are supposed to do. He just tackles the hens. He isn't rough from what I can see, but he is far from chivalrous.

So he's off to freezer camp.

Does anyone in AZ have a friendlier roo they'd like to home?

Sorry to hear your DD got it from this roo.
Our first experience with a bad roo was a Welsummer. He flogged us a lot and he went to freezer camp quickly.
Now we have lots of roos, more than 30 on the place here but none ever come after us anymore. We eat all our extras we produce and it is good that you are going to learn to process one.
I have found it isn't always the breed as I have since owned several Welsummers roos that were super nice.
And yes, Cochins are wonderful and good with their ladies. I have more than 12 now and all are very nice to deal with and are good with the girls.

If you like the breed your rooster is, don't give up on the breed. Just find a better roo. I have heard people say that their buff Orpington was mean but all ours have been good. I have heard that the Marans roos can be mean but of all our varieties and the numerous ones we raise for meat they have all been great in temperament.
Find a breed you like and you should be able to get a nice roo from somewhere.

It's much easier to kill a mean roo than a sweet one. Sorry about your daughter. Some of them will even go after children's faces and can do serious damage. Our first roo was a BO and was just beautiful. He decided to go after me every time I went outside so I had to take the broom with me to ward him off. Then he attacked our favorite hen and made her head a bloody mess. That was the last straw. He made delicious chicken soup!

Nadine, I don't know what breed he is, but it isn't one I'm interested in.

I'm wanting a little banty rooster that dances. I think I'd like to raise one in the house (in my office to be exact) so I see him several hours every day.

Get a little Serama rooster. Those little tiny things are just as cute as bugs and spunky to boot. Couldn't hurt you if they tried-another nice thing about them.
smile.png

My little bantam Cochins all do the roo dance but my big boys do too. If they don;t dance then I know they need to be soup.

The bantam Cochins make darling house pets.
Seramas are adorable. I have only one hen but have been to Luann's place many times where her little Serama roos are running all over the yard and are super appealing. And gorgeous.
I am just a Cochin lover and snuggle each breeding roo I have. Some tolerate more than others.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom