1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our run is all ruts!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tpeila, Sep 16, 2012.

1. tpeila

tpeila Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    University Place, WA
    We have a large run probably 20'x30'. And of course chickens like to dig so I have a bunch of holes. I have filled them back in and thu dig in the same spot. I almost sprain my ankle walking in there. Should I fill the holes with gravel? They have plenty other spots to dig and free range in the rest of the yard during the day.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    you can but find smaller ones so they wont hurt your feet and the chickies!. Chickens love to dig , maybe put fresh pile of clean dirt in one corner. that might keep them busy.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If you put sand in the run, the holes won't persist as the sand will tend to work its way back into the holes. My chickens digs holes, too. I don't walk around in the run so they aren't a problem for me.

I put sand in the run, but not under the coop. The popular bathing spots are under the coop where it never gets wet. That may help, too.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by