our SLW, but maaaaybe something else tossed in there?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thebulg, Sep 24, 2015.

1. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    [​IMG]

this is rosa, and she is about 23 weeks. i had already been noticing her lack of lacing. i mean, she is laced, but not the way i expected, but another friend pointed out that her back plumage is not what totally typical of SLW. i'm not mad at all-- i would take mutt chickens the same way i would take a mutt dog! i'm wondering what else she might be mixed with or if this is just a different expression of a plain old SLW?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    She's not a mixed breed. She's just hatchery quality, not show quality.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She is definitely has better confirmation than hatchery quality, mine have better lacing but poor confirmation, it's hard to try to breed for both traits as well as egg production and have everything turn out right, I think she's very pretty.

4. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    i think of her as my flighty french maid :D we got her from a local hatchery, so i wasn't sure if there would end up being some crossover. none of our chickens are pure or whatever term is correct, but she is probably the most deviated from what you see when you google a chicken breed :D she hasn't laid yet, she's my last one holding out! i can't wait to see what she lays!

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    She's pure - her lacing is just quite thick. She's got very nice conformation for a hatchery bird, and all things considered, decent color - sometimes hatchery birds don't look anything like the breed they're supposed to be.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She's a "purebred" hatchery quality Silver Laced Wyandotte.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

8. JulesAussies

JulesAussies Out Of The Brooder

I show dogs so immediately recognized the huge difference in the conformation of show chickens vs the hatchery birds. However, I still went with hatchery chicks because it was easy to start with some variety of the breeds I wanted. I love my babies who will be 9 weeks old on Monday! They're the friendliest chickens I've ever been around. For that matter, I kept the one "pet quality" only pups from my own dog's litter because she was just my favorite. I won't breed her but she is the best performance dog I've ever had in multiple sports. I LOVE her to pieces, flaws and all!

Your chicken is beautiful!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree she's got nice type for a hatchery bird. That rounded, gravy bowl shape a Wyandotte is supposed to have. Laced birds are a challenge for hatcheries, as are barred birds. You get patterns all over the place.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    That's a SLW.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by