Our Texas-sized coop

Quote:
Me too!
lol.png

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback!
We only had the predator issues when the chickens would free range. The coyotes learned to wait until the coop door automatically opened and then they would pounce. This new coop is up by the house so I don't think that it will be as big of an issue. We did put the wire underground with a concrete perimeter. I don't let the chickens out on a regular basis - just when I am out there or nearby.
On the honeysuckle - good idea. I am having trouble with it now as they run to it each time I let them out. There are very few leaves even left on either plant
sad.png
I'm going to get something to help it grow on while keeping the ladies at bay.
I also plan on getting rid of one of the nest box sets as someone else suggested and adding more roosts. I only wanted one set to begin with but one of the builders of the coop used to raise chickens and insisted that I needed another one. I have 13 ladies and 20 boxes which is silly even if I add a couple more ladies, I still have plenty.
Dawn

Quote:
True. But it can be done on a less grand scale. Since this is up by the front of our house and we see it all of the time as do visitors, we wanted it to look nice and fit in with the rest of our surroundings. We also wanted it to last.
The best part is that if I ever get rid of the chickens, I can easily convert it to a dog kennel when we are out of town. Or lock my kids in it
lau.gif

wow... everything sure is bigger in texas!
droolin.gif

i love the interior wood. the chickens are sure living the good life! congrats !!
thumbsup.gif

I am sooooo impressed with your coop/run. You definitely did your homework when planning your coop. It is GORGEOUS!!! A real show stopper! You should probably consider getting that shade cloth you talked about. I'm in Texas, just outside of Waco, and I have had several friends loose chickens to this heat we are having. I put shade cloth on the top of the netting on my run and down one side to block the sun. It really has helped. I haven't lost any birds yet. It doesn't look great but if it saves my chickens then it is worth it. Also you talked about putting in a Crepe Myrtle plant. I have one in my run. The chickens eat the bottom leaves off but it does put out some shade for them. I know you are not new to chicken keeping but I am wondering how you will keep your chickens warm in the winter? Do you have a way to close up the coop part? Or maybe it just doesn't get cold enough here to do that? I lock my chickens/ducks up at night because my run isn't that night preditor proof. We have alot of coyotes here too. I guess I'm just thinking outloud. I REALLY REALLY REALLY love your coop. It's one of the best I have seen on here. Someday........dreaming.......someday I will have something as beautiful and outstanding as yours. Congratulations!!!
clap.gif
clap.gif

I just re-read your page and saw where you were going to make a PVC panel for the winter. Sounds like you have everything covered! Again, GREAT JOB!

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow! That's a little rude.

I think that you're setup is great! I will say this. We have built FIVE coops (and wasted alot of $$). If we would have done the proper research beforehand, we would have made one large coop instead. That would make it easier for upkeep and everyday chicken chores. Kudos to you for knowing what you wanted and making it happen!!!!

thumbsup.gif

WOW!!!! That's some coop! I say kick the girls out, add A/C and let me move in! LOL!

Seriously, That's a really nice coop & run. Well Done.

Back
Top Bottom