Our Tudor Style Coop (pic heavy)

Wow thats very nice dont you just love hubby's who build for you
wink.png

Quote:
What makes you think this? the Buff Orpington feathered out REALLY FAST (4 weeks old today) and got tail feathers on day 3...the Barred Rock took forever to get any tail feathers and is just not getting significant feathers...

I'm worried, I don't want a rooster...
hmm.png

Barred rock pullets feather out looking spotted. The cockerels (BR) feather in with barring. As the pullets get older, they then get their bars more defined, but they are always darker than the cockerels are.

Thank you for all the nice compliments I'll pass them along to the handy man I call my husband
big_smile.png

Not to change the subject, but I'm curious to hear more on the roo/pullet BR thing...here are some pics of "it" feathering out over the past four weeks.

CIMG6576sm.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

CIMG6772.jpg

CIMG6755.jpg

The spotty looking chest feathers just started coming in the past couple of days...

CIMG6996a.jpg

CIMG6964.jpg

Last edited:
Excuse all the misc kid-crap (as my hubby calls it) laying around...but this is the fenced play area for the chickens to 'free range' in during the day...our dogs will eat them if they get out of it...so I'm a little nervous about that...I had a canary that was really docile and cool that got out of it's cage and was cruising around the living room and quickly became a dog toy before I could do anything about it
hit.gif
sooo I'm hoping that area is enough to keep them occupied and they don't feel the urge to fly over (can't net because of the playground equipment in there)

There isn't MUCH to 'free range' on in there...sandy soil and a few weeds, but I will probably toss some scratch, left over veggies, etc...about to keep it somewhat interesting and hopefully keep them IN THERE!!!

And they will be kept in the coop/run when it's not good for them to be out in the "play yard"

ANYHOW, point is, there is a lot of speckled shade in the yard and they are pretty well protected from the trees...but I do worry that hawks might fly into the trees and down to get my chickens??? How likely is that?

CIMG7032.jpg

Oh there are some down sides to having handy men...like when you have a great idea, you gotta give it to them gently and make it as though THEY came up with the idea, otherwise it's shot down faster then you can say "I think..." LOL
roll.png

Mine's really handy in all areas of life, but holy toleto, you gotta play dumb sometimes and stroke the ego...let go of your chainsaw and let them jack it all up...with time, they come around and are really great handy men! LOL
big_smile.png
wink.png

Few more pics to follow soon...Hubby did some more work on it today...curious when it will be finished...the chicks are practically hitting their head on the top of their brooder! I have been putting them outside in our dog's X-pen during the day to peck the ground and get ready for the big bad world...

Back
Top Bottom