our two week old ameracauna just died

kycklingmamma

Songster
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
My slice of Heaven on Earth...
I have 13 baby chicks in a 4x4 brooder, heat lamp in one corner and food and water. All seemed good and happy, and this morning we woke up to one dead, one of our ameracaunas, she was one of the bigger ones, feathering out nicely.
What happened? I am all worried that they will all die, they are not acting sickly, but then again neither did the ameracauna.
What do you think happened.

Kycklingmamma

I really have no idea other than I know some chicks just aren't meant to be. I am so sorry for your loss. I have little ones in the brooder right now too and it is my worst fear to walk in and find one gone.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I agree. And our regrets on your loss...

Some things are just meant to be. You know your baby is with The Lord and you got all those other younguns to raise up right.

Sorry for your loss Dear...

Michael (and Nan)

Dont have an eggsplanation for ya, it just happens I eggspect. You do have all the others though. Good luck and keep us up to date.

Mike D

I am new to chickens as well, but everything I've read says that you just have to expect losses like that, especially when they are babies. Not all chicks are cut out to make it to adulthood. I know that it's no fun, but unless the others are acting sickly in any way, I wouldn't worry about them too much. I lost two chicks in the first 48 hours of receiving them - and one was just like yours - alive and awake at bedtime, dead and being ignored and walked-on by the others in the morning. I expected more losses than I had, however, so I was prepared for it and I just did my best to take care of the survivors and all has been going well since then. Good luck to you!

Thanks all for your nice thoughts. I guess I am shiked it happened because she didn't act ailing in one way or another. This is our second batch of chicks, our last was a year ago, and we only lost one pullet a few months ago, actually it was an Ameracauna as well, our Laura, but she died the brutal death of a dog attack, our darn Westie, Bogus, licked her to death. Horrible. But y'all are right, some chicks just aren't supposed to make it into adulthood.

thanks, again Kycklingmamma

Back
Top Bottom