Our Very 1st Egg!!!

TXfruitful

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2020
Super EGG-CITED to share one of our girls, "Blue" laid her very first egg today! It's small but has a very healthy shell.

Our girls are free to roam our enclosed backyard and have a coop to sleep in but for some reason, we have to put them in their coop every night. They won't just go to it on their own so it was very odd that Blue had gone inside and was sitting in one of the nesting boxes on her own in the middle of the afternoon. We kept an eye on her until she just decided she was going to exit the coop and went to eat. We assumed maybe she was practicing because it was pretty obvious she was nesting by her scratching and "cooing" behavior. ANYWHOOOOO, my son decided to take a look a few minutes later and sure enough - AN EGG!!! Yay!

We've raised our 5 girls (barred rock) from day old chicks. They are our babies (who knew chickens are like cats that lay eggs?!) So this moment was really something to celebrate for our family. Thank you for celebrating with us 😉🥰

On a side note - why aren't my girls going to the coop at night without us carrying them? It's clear they know it's safe now.

Attachments

• IMG_20201102_172556_164.jpg
    IMG_20201102_172556_164.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 47
Super EGG-CITED to share one of our girls, "Blue" laid her very first egg today! It's small but has a very healthy shell.

Our girls are free to roam our enclosed backyard and have a coop to sleep in but for some reason, we have to put them in their coop every night. They won't just go to it on their own so it was very odd that Blue had gone inside and was sitting in one of the nesting boxes on her own in the middle of the afternoon. We kept an eye on her until she just decided she was going to exit the coop and went to eat. We assumed maybe she was practicing because it was pretty obvious she was nesting by her scratching and "cooing" behavior. ANYWHOOOOO, my son decided to take a look a few minutes later and sure enough - AN EGG!!! Yay!

We've raised our 5 girls (barred rock) from day old chicks. They are our babies (who knew chickens are like cats that lay eggs?!) So this moment was really something to celebrate for our family. Thank you for celebrating with us 😉🥰

On a side note - why aren't my girls going to the coop at night without us carrying them? It's clear they know it's safe now.
Congratulations!!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Congratulations!

thas great!!!

as for why their not going in at night, they are new ad young still. they don't seem to know when they should be heading in yet. best fix for that is repetition. put them in manually each day until you notice all of them going in on their own.

Back
Top Bottom