Our very last Turken - Need some help!

Illia

Crazy for Colors
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Forks, WA
Okay, so, my second to last turken passed away some days ago - And now I've got my eyes firmly on the last one (seems like every emergency I post is about a turken I have or had) But she's starting to get problems, too. She had bad diarrhea for a while, which I solved with yoghurt, but during her time of quarantine and still to this night while she is in quarantine, her digestion seems good, but her balance/sttrength is not. When she tries to walk, turn around, or get up, she's very wobbly and weak, and even falls over. If in a warmer area, she stands better - But as soon as the temperature is lowered or she's in enclosure, she will topple, trip, or simply lay down to save the effort. What is wrong with her? I wanted to get some photos, but she decided to just stand during the shoot, and all it is is just a weakness.(plus she shivers a lot, and only likes really warm areas, so I currently have a heatlamp for her) What could it be? I really don't want to lose her, let alone have her quarantined/handicapped forever!
sad.png

More info needed here- maybe you have posted this for the other Turkens, but as this is a new thread- read the sticky at the top, and answer the questions.
We need good info for people to help you- age of bird(s), where from & how long have you had them, any vaccines?, what do you feed exactly, describe housing for bird(s) before falling ill as well as the quarantine area. Have you inspected the bird thoroughly for mites/lice & the environment at night for red mites, wormed ever?, what does the poop look like? Crop? Laying? Did you have any of the others necropsied? Off balance bird could be weak due to anemia from mites/lice other parasites, starving from impacted crop, internal viral issue like lymphoid leukosis, toxin ingestion like botulism ect, lead, bad diet leading to ricketts or other vitamin/mineral deficiency. So many things can cause these symptoms. Give us more info, so we can hopefully help you & the bird.

She is just over 4 months old, she normally is out foraging in a large area freely where there is anything, really, to be exposed to. (wild plants-wise) The indoor area is a small wooden building with white pine bedding, large branches and tree trunks for roosting, and small nesting boxes filled with hay for the older pullets. She is a hatchery turken, which really could explain my problem with all my past turkens, but otherwise she has no mites, no worms in her poop, has been vaccinated before we got her (she was bought as a day old chick) and has been relatively healthy until now. She has been injured previously by a rooster and healed well, but was always a rather solitary bird due to being picked on. She eats whatever is out there (seeds, grass, apples, occasional bread or vegetables) and some layer pellets that all the chickens get. I just noticed her problems yesterday, after the last turken died, while gathering the chickens to come out of the rain. She was standing at the entrance of the building, where it is not a comfortably warm and dry place, and was shivering. She pooped out terrible diarrhea, too, so I knew something was wrong. She started to walk around, but had a certain weakness to her. Since I quarantined her (large empty cage that is cleaned each time a chicken comes in or leaves it, and is simply bedded with hay in a seperate building) she has been getting worse with balance/strength. She constantly falls, tips, and stumbles, and tries to catch herself with her wing. Her crop is normal, it grows after she eats, and comes down to "hardly noticeable" by the end of the day. The only other symptom is her need for warmth, and constant shivering without it.
Before this all went down, she was acting quite normal. She was always the most quiet and solitary of the couple turkens we had, so I never worried - She's not a big eater, and usually just stands or walks about unless it is feeding time (as in, being fed something other than pellets and foraging)

Edit: She was bought, as with all of our flock, from Murray McMurray. We have bought a total 10 turkens from them, and she is our only survivor so far. I'm thinking one of the problems is the whole hatchery quality problem - We've bought about 40 chicks from them once, and dwindled down to 9. I've heard stories of them having disease outbreaks, so I'm starting to have no surprise for such a terrible loss - But she's 4 months now, so, I would call that a survivor, and that story possibly non-related?

Another note: I have looked up possible candidates for local poisonous plants, and the only possibility is potato poisoning from getting in the garden - but I'm not sure if it causes these symptooms. Anything else I'm not sure of. There is no mold in their area, but she could just be suffering from hunger - She has full control of all of her body but her legs though. (well, she has control of those, just not much when it comes to keeping herself up) With her shivering, too, could this be a bacterial thing? Months ago, we had chick losses due to a bacterial spread that caused the chicks to have a decrease in appetite, have white poop, and an inability to use their legs, but this isn't spreading to any other bird so far, and the only other loss other than the rest of the turkens is one New Hampshire pullet that suddenly dropped dead one night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom