1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Out of curiosity...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Plain Old Dee, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    Is it too late in the year to start a batch of eggs in the incubator? Would any hens that hatch lay before next fall?

Which is better - incubator or real mom for the eggs?

I know nothing about baby chicks. We always bought adult hens. We had a couple hatch a clutch or two of babies, but there was a high mortality rate with the babies and only a couple lived to adulthood.

I think I could cobble together a brooder out of an old play pen (saw one on this website that gave me the idea). I thought I might try raising some babies to increase the flock (I want LOTS of eggs - huge family to feed!), but don't know how cost effective it would be.

Any thoughts?

2. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

as long as you can keep the baby's warm tell they feather out, i dont see why not,
    and you should get eggs by mid summer, from any hens that hatch out

3. tomcio

tomcio Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    I have a batch of layers growing up currently and coturnix eggs in the incubator. It's never too late to set a batch, so long as you can keep them warm enough until they feather out and gradually change their temperature as you put them outside (so not to shock their systems).

I expect my batch of layers to start producing around January/February.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by