Out of dog food. What would you do?

caf.gif
Waiting for dog pic....

I agree, I let mine go till the next morning when I could get out. Now I keep a couple cans of dog food on hand just in case. In a pinch I have done much like others have suggested. Scrambled eggs with rice or ground turkey with rice and green beans. Not too much, just enough to put a little something in her stomach.

My dogs get much higher protein food than most cat foods. Most grain free foods will be higher than your average cat food. I've also fed canned evo which is the same ingredients for both the cat and dog cans. Just insanely expensive to do it for very long. We used taste of the wild at 32% protein for awhile and now use kent Native 3 at 30% protein so dogs can most definitely do fine on higher protein and "richer" food. It's only if they aren't used to it that you might have a problem.

I would boil any meat you have on hand with some of the other things mentioned for carbonhydrates like rice, oatmeal, potatos, sweet potatos.... Most veggies aside from root vegetables won't provide much nutrition since dogs don't digest them well and green beans are often used to fill up the stomach without adding any calories, carbs, or fat when you put a dog on a diet. You definitely need to use something with a bit more energy if you have to feed them without dog food for several days. If they won't eat the nonmeat portions of the diet soak it in beef or chicken soup broth instead of plain water.

You don't need rice and potatoes only one carb is good per meal and only give cooked potatoes if you do no raw potatoes even though my saint loves them
hmm.png
. Some people don't like giving there dogs grains/carbs such as potatoes so they use the sweet potato as a substitute often in dog food too and it is a veggie so a lot more nutritious for them.

For protein you don't need to use meat, you can use cheese, eggs, peanut butter....lots of things that have protein in them. Especially for short term 1-2 meals here and there.

You've gotten some ideas that you could make a full diet out of. Really, for a day or two, most anything sensible will do.

I personally would not do as some suggest and skip the meal; if nothing else, the dog will feel sad or hurt or whatever it is they feel, but they obviously do feel something when you don't give what you usually give.

My dog gets brown rice, mashed with scrambled eggs and a bit of whatever kind of meat we have when I run out and can't get to the store. She LOVES it. Probably thinks it's her birthday or something....

I made a big pot of white rice and mixed in some green beans, leftover vegetable soup and a can of Mighty Dog. They INHALED it. I may add some eggs to it for their breakfast in the morning. Hopefully we'll get out tomorrow to buy them some of their normal food. It's good to know I can make them something myself if necessary. Thanks again for all the great ideas!

Quote:
Yes, I was just wondering how many of those that said SKIP the meal for the dogs, actually go without food themselves for over 24 hours?

Scrambled eggs and cooked rice are great ,bland and low fat, should not upset their stomachs.
I would not feed them high salt sardines or rich meats.

Quote:
Sweet potatoes have many more nutrients than regular potatoes -

Many commercial dog foods are now doing sweet potato varieties - ditto with dog treats. . .reg potatoe is fine if cooked but they don't have a lot of nutrition - but they are filling and tasty(never raw - raw potatoes can make a dog very very sick - and lethal in some)

Dogs love sweet potatoes, mashed, baked, dehydrated (treats) - good and good for them!

Back
Top Bottom