Out of several breeds, seems like Black Austrolorps are the bravest

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gimme sum eggs, Mar 29, 2009.

1. gimme sum eggs

gimme sum eggs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    South Branch, MI
    We got our 3 varieties of pullets from the hatchery along with 9 other individuals representing at least 3 more breeds. When I put my hand in to change water, put more feed in, handle chicks etc., seems like its always the BA's that come right up to my hand and stand tall like "I ain't afraid of you". Most of the others scatter and head for a corner. I've only had them for 3 days now, just wondering if its some spunky individuals, or do BA's have this courage built-in.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm not sure if you mean BAs or BOs. If you mean Black Australorps I will agree with you. Mine was the meanest chick, but grew up to be pretty nice and calm.

Imp

3. gimme sum eggs

gimme sum eggs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    South Branch, MI
    Sorry about my typos IMP. I'm talking about my Black Australorps, BA's .

*For those viewing this post, I changed all the BO's to BA's. IMP isn't imagining things.*

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I was actually afraid of the little BA. Everytime I tried to go near it would attck my hand. It is one of the reasons I decided to get grown pullets the last time I got new chickens.

Imp- I think "grown pullets" is an oxymoron

5. echlfan

echlfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Fresno, California
    Our BA is much more friendly, almost aggressively so, lol.

6. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I agree. Yesterday, while my flock was free ranging, my cat entered their area. My BAs immediately went after my cat! [​IMG] And these girls are only 18 weeks old now. Can't wait to see what they're like 6 months from now. [​IMG]

7. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    My BA s were always the best broody mamas. Nothing ever messed with their chicks!

8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    [​IMG]

That is Bear aka Momma Bear at 7 mos. That scar is from attacking a HAWK trying to save a much younger PR. She continued to fight despite 3 gashes, one from each ear to her keel and one straight down her throat. Her skin hung in tatters.

She withstood the attack and being stitched up without anesthesia. She was MEAN to the other chickens, so mean at one point I thought to make her soup. But that stunt earned her a permanent reprieve. And I found a Roo that calmed her down.

In my kitchen tonight are her first three BA/BR mutt children and they are insanely friendly and ready to get into anything and have been that way since the second day after hatch.

I won't hatch any many more of the little suckers, I see too much trouble coming. They're even busier than the darn Delawares.

And Delawares are completely insane.

9. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    well, mine are only 4 weeks, but they are sweet hearts- even the roo, who had some thread wrapped around his foot this morning and after a little bit of sass about it, stood still while i unwrapped his foot....

10. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Black Austrolorps chicks also learn real quick were the treats come from. Then, as adults, they are the least bit scared of people when handled.

I sold two BA girls and two BO girls this weekend, my customers where in shock of how these big girls just allowed me to pick them up and hand them to them. They were then placed in a cage in the back of their truck and just stood there allowing them to be petted like puppies.

I think it is nature and nurture!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by