Out of the turner and can't get humidity up!

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
I'm on day 17 and I just candled a few eggs. Noticed that some were mostly all chick with very little air cell (is that the right term?) at the pointy end. Some did have bigger cells.

What does this mean? I have a LG still air and have been running consistent temps of 101-102 w/ humidity 42-46%.

Is that bad?

Edited to add: these aren't shipped eggs; they are from our own flock.

Last edited:
The air cell should be on the blunt end. Are you sure there isn't a space on the blunt end? Your chicks sound big. I would not turn them anymore, and increase the humidity to about 65% or so. Hopefully, when you candled them , you saw some movement?

I have them in a turner and I didn't see any light at the blunt end, only at the pointy end. There was movement. Should I take the turner out now or wait til tomorrow? They look awful big for those eggs...

Take them off the turner. And let the eggs lay there. Bump the humidity up and increase your air flow.

ok - will go do that now.

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

thank you!

Boy, 41 eggs on a turner fits alot better than 41 eggs laying on their sides! (I'm a little slow LOL). Every one of those eggs felt heavy - amazing. I only did 41 hoping for a decent fertility rate! I've only candled about half, but every one I candled had a chick.

Please cross all your fingers and toes...

Good luck with your hatch. Sometimes an empty space is easier to see at the pointy end. And your chicks sound big, maybe they'll hatch sooner than you think. Just get that humidity up.

Humdity is at 52% and rising. I filled both water trays and put in a sponge. I'm sure I didn't position the eggs right; was in a hurry to get them in and keep them warm. They are big eggs. That Little Ralphie...what a studly boy...

Here's a pic:

DSC03358.jpg

OK...starting to panic...please tell me not to...

Temps back up to 101 but humidity is at 56%. Both water trays are filled, I have a small sponge in there that I soaked, and I put a wet (with hot water) paper towel in. I added a little hot water to the trays via plastic tubing and still at 56%. Hoping it will continue to rise if I go to bed but I'm afraid...

Back
Top Bottom